Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
I am having an argument with tech support over at D-Link. I understand full well that they don't support Appletalk, but I want to know why it is difficult to support that protocol over wireless. Any networking experts out there? I want to know what the difference is between Appletalk through a hub or switch compared with through a Wireless Access Point.

My theory is that going through a WAP, is more like going through a router. And that WAP needs to read the OCI destination layer to determine where to send the signal. This would mean that the hardware device would need to understand multiple protocols (TCP/IP and AppleTalk) to transport the packets.

Anybody out there able to varify, or correct me?

Thanks in advance

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Appletalk will run just fine over any layer two device (things like hubs, switches, and wireless access points that aren't doing NAT). When you want to run Appletalk across a router, that is when you will need support for Appletalk routing. The option would be to have a mac with two nics running something like OS X Server and doing the routing for you (or just routing period).

For a home users with an access point, there is no reason why you would not be able to use classic appletalk.

The network interfaces on the access point don't need to know anything specific about appletalk, only that here is a packet coming in this interface, i better send it out my other interface.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
From my own experience, I have had my TiBook go to my G4 tower (when I had one still) via AppleTalk. The TiBook was using Airport (with an Airport base station) and the G4 was wired into my network switch (also linking to the base station and my DSL modem). The only problem I had was how long it takes to move a GB+ of info via Airport (to be expected with Airport's speed).

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
The WAP that I am using is a D-Link DL-714. We use this because it is a router with a DB-9 Serial port on the back for an external modem. We don't have Broadband here, so we are putting dial-up on the network with this:)

I use OS X on my TiPB 500 MHz, and can connect through the WAP only to the other OS X computer on the network, using the "Local Network" in the "Connect to Server" menu. No appletalk devices show up when I am wireless. I have used a friends Airport Basestation v.2, and can connect using appletalk.

I have not tried to connect with a stand-alone WAP, so I can't say whether or not it works for me.

Yah, those multi-GB transfers are a pain, ain't they. I transfered just over 9 GB to an external HD attached to my PB over 100BaseT, and it took about 30 min.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
i believe that the OS X solution for Appletalk is simply a protocol that masquerades inside a TCP wrapper, and could therefore easily run into communication problems with other true Appletalk devices on your network. Plus the fact that D-Link in my experience, sucks.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by sturm375

Yah, those multi-GB transfers are a pain, ain't they. I transfered just over 9 GB to an external HD attached to my PB over 100BaseT, and it took about 30 min.

Have you thought about firewire target disk mode? I think you connect up the laptop, hold the T key down during startup, and it should mount on a firewire equiped mac.

Of course you need a firewire equiped mac. Actually, it should work with any computer that supports firewire, of course a pc might not know what to do with hfs

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
From PC

Originally posted by peterjhill

Have you thought about firewire target disk mode? I think you connect up the laptop, hold the T key down during startup, and it should mount on a firewire equiped mac.

Of course you need a firewire equiped mac. Actually, it should work with any computer that supports firewire, of course a pc might not know what to do with hfs

Unfortunatly I "ripped" CDs from my PC, then used OS X's built in ability to connect to a shared PC drive to pull the MP3s over. I have found that my Creative Labs PlayCenter is excellent at "ripping" CDs. Very fast, and does 320 KB/s ripping. Also my CD-ROM (actually DVD-ROM) is faster on my PC, compared to my TiPB.:(

So now I have nearly all of my CD collection available on my TiPB, so I made a little space on my desk, strung some wires to my stero, and now have 2 days worth of continous music, in random order. "Doug's Radio is on the Air!":D

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Re: From PC

Originally posted by sturm375

So now I have nearly all of my CD collection available on my TiPB, so I made a little space on my desk, strung some wires to my stero, and now have 2 days worth of continous music, in random order. "Doug's Radio is on the Air!":D

I have been completely obsessive with ripping my cd's also. In the past 7 days since getting my new laptop, I have 2251 soungs, or 6 days and 9 hours of music available. I'm halfway through my collection. I guess I will have to wait until the 20 gig iPod comes out ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.