Wireless Backup and Remote Access

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by satkin2, Jul 7, 2011.

1. satkin2 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I know that wireless backup can be done through a Time Capsule, but they're pretty expensive. Currently I have a wired 1TB backup drive that I have to plug into my MacBook each day to backup with Time Machine.

Is there a way that I can hook up my external HDD to my network to allow me to then carry out this backup wirelessly?

Further to this, once the drive is on my network, I assume locally it would be possible to store say my iTunes library on there and access it. Can this be done not locally too?

Many thanks.

2. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

What is your external HDD? I think this will to a pretty great extent determine whether what you want to do is possible or not.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but Time Capsule is more than just storage, so unless your external has the same type of wi-fi capabilities, I predict you'll be having difficulties.

3. satkin2 thread starter macrumors regular

It's just a standard external HDD, no wifi etc, I was meaning is it possible to plug in through USB into an router for example which would then give it wireless access.

4. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it can probably be done, again depending on the specifics of the devices, but you might need a middle manager or something. Sorry, not something I have personal experience with... :eek: