Wireless backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FrozenShivers, Jun 24, 2013.

1. FrozenShivers macrumors member

Hello guys, triyng to help a friend, he's wanting to have a network drive to backup his MBP/Mac Mini, and be able to store some movies etc on it, my plan was to buy a 2TB external drive, and plug it into his router (which is a Edimax N300 Wireless Range Extender/Access Point) then partition the drive 3 ways (1 for Time Machine for MBP, another for Time Machine for MM, and a third for some spare storage to store stuff), is this possible? And just as simple as grabbing an external HDD and plugging it into his access point? Thanks!

2. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Not sure that's going to work out. After some finagling I finally got wireless backups working on an Airport Extreme with an attached USB drive but it is not as seamless or clean as the Time Capsule solution. Since the Mini is stationary, it might be easier to jack the the external into it and then point Time Machine for MBP and Mini there. Also, if it were me, I would use the external for backups or storage but not both.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

For wireless backup with Time Machine to work, the router needs to support Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), and from a bit of Googling it does not appear your router does.

So nope. :(

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

6. FrozenShivers thread starter macrumors member

Aww shame, thanks for the replies guys (and sorry for my slow response), would something like this work?