wireless backup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmcw, Sep 2, 2013.

1. jmcw macrumors newbie

I have an old Macbook Pro, Snow Leopard, and want to back up using Time Machine wirelessly on an external HD. Tried Time Capsule and was too complicated, visited the Genius Bar at an Apple Store, they referred me to Applecare to do a ridiculous configuration. I have an old external HD which works fine using wired connection to back up but want to go wireless. I have no router of any kind, and am an extreme novice.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What was the issue with the Time Capsule? You should be able to install it as your router then just tell the Mac to use that as the Time Machine destination and that is all there is to it.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There is no wireless backup config that's going to be simpler than Time Capsule.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why don't you have a router?

You're going to need a WiFi router if you want to backup wirelessly.

Anyway a Time Capsule is a router and as easy as it gets to setup as a time machine.

Note: if this is because you use your schools network then your easiest solution is to stick to wired USB as you've been using. Setting up your own private network on the schools network may not be allowed.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

You need some device on the WIFI network that is time machine compatible, Like a Time Capsule or AirPort, some Apple product. There is nothing simpler than a Time Capsule to set up except plugging in the drive using your wired connection like you have been doing.