Wireless Belkin going in and out.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Emulsion, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Emulsion macrumors 6502

Ok here's the story... I bought a wired router a long time a go so I could hook up my xbox. The router i bought was a cheap linksys, that had wireless "Built in". Well, a couple of months go by and I get a mbp. I then come to find that "Built in" = crap. So I bought a new wireless router

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=372043

and set it up, only to find that I'm not getting any range at all. I can sit on my couch looking at the router and the signal goes in and out constantly. It makes me mad because I can sit 10 feet away and go in and out (p.s. I just went out again, and am on the other side of the wall that my router is at.) What do you think the problem is?

p.s. - No one is on our cordless at the moment, the microwave isn't running...

Do you think it could be a neighbor's phone?

This is a picture of me sitting on the couch. You can see the router glowing in blue.

Attached Files:

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Is that it in the space between the wall and cabinet on the left? If so, that's a seriously bad place for it. Should be up on a shelf (or a wall) at least halfway up to the ceiling with some open space around it. The shelf under the clock in the pic would be great. Is it a 2.4 or 5.8 GHz wireless? (The Belkin I had previously was 2.4 only) Phones are about the only thing I've seen interfere, and only at the 2.4 range - my phones and AEBS are both 5.8, no problems.

3. Emulsion thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks.