Wireless/Bluetooth Speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Slater14, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Slater14 macrumors newbie

I know this isn't technically apple hardware but its for my Mac, iPhone and iPod. I am in the market to get some wireless speakers, by this I mean speakers I can stream to over wifi or bluetooth (not rechargeable ones)

Without sounding like a snob price isn't really an issue for me as I want the best possible speakers. However it is very hard to decide what is best as also look at everything on the market. I want something that is extremely loud (for house parties and film watching etc) at the same time as keeping exceptional sound quality.

So far the only ones that have stood out are the Parrot Zikmu speakers, they look gorgeous, do everything I want and all the reviews say they are immense but I don't want to waste my money if something smaller or cheaper are just as good. I have had a look around and the Bose ones I am scared will not be beefy enough as the same with many of the small designs.

Any of you have experience with the Zikmus? Or any other great speakers.?

Thanks for your help guys

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You may want to consider AirPort Express and use its AirTunes feature. By doing that, you have wider range of speakers that you can use and it may even end up being cheaper

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1
    best option for you is to get the airport express. You can attach any speakers with it.

4. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

Are you limited by size? I know you said money isn't an issue, but what about size. If you run with the others suggestion of an airport, run this through a sweet receiver and nice pair of floor speakers, you will get the best tone. This also depends on what format most of your music is in. MP3 can sound great on small speakers, but pump it through some full range speakers and you will hear its inefficiency.

5. Slater14 thread starter macrumors newbie

the problem I have with the airport is that it adds another lead to my speaker, I want them to be as versatile as possible, anywhere in the house or garden when ever i fancy with just 1 or two leads to sort out.
    Also if I am able to buy any speakers in the world I would have no idea where to start. I am very technical but speakers are not my strong point and I don't have much experience with them!

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AirPort Express has normal 3.5mm audio socket, that's the same socket you would use with your computer or iPod for example. I'm sure AirPort Express has longer range than those WiFi speakers too. WiFi speakers are expensive and choices are narrow, you may end up paying hundreds just for the WiFi and then get crappy speakers. I didn't really get your point about extra leads and garden etc, can you explain more?

7. Slater14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Size is a matter to a certain extent in the way that I have room for floor standing speakers but no where really to put an amp so I would prefer that to be built in.
    I basically want the speakers to be as mobile as possible, One because I am a student and move house a lot and two because my use for them changes everyday. I want to be able to use them in my room on my computer, or move them easily downstairs to play xbox or watch a film, or have one upstairs on one downstairs/in the garden if we are having a party.
    This eliminates pretty much everything that has a cable between the speakers. Although I do not need them to be battery powered I want them to be as free as possible. An amp, airport, wires between them makes all this a lot harder than just plugging in 2 power cables.

Sorry if I made it unclear!

8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

9. Slater14 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had actually noticed these when I first started looking but I think I decided they wouldn't be loud enough because they are so small? has anyone heard them? I also quite like the idea of having two speakers in two different places playing the same music, not this is a must.

10. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i have them actually two of them and i find them loud enough to hear musik loud ,but of course you wont upset your neighbours 3 blocks away but what is loud ? ok if you want to fill a football stadium with the soundlevel of Manowar (139db guinness book world record)for example none of the wireless will do anyway ,
    and another thing to consider a mate has bought some other wireless speakers , cheaper and more powerful but he needs quiet a few wires to actually connect them around each with mains , but cant remember what brand and cant reach him at the momenti think they are form samasung or panasonic but not sure , the only thing is they had been very sensible when we had a party in his garden and some mobile phones went of and you did not hear music any longer, but this horrible noise that mobile phones do cause to some things and that amplified :mad: drove us mad ,we had to force everybody to switch of their mobiles :eek:
    on the bose without interference from mobiles so far , battery lasts quiet long but that depends really on how loud ,but having a mains nearby is handy if you plan a party and want to hear music all day/night just in case

the bose might not be the loudest you can get , but they are small enough to get them anywhere without any hassle

11. Slater14 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks! So it's down to weather I want floor standing or portable which I am really not fussed about as long as they are movable! Has anyone had experience with the Parrot Zikmus? Would really help if you could voice your opinion.

If not i'll go with the Bose as they are £500 cheaper!

Thanks everyone