Wireless bridge security? Firewall? APE?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by volvoben, Jun 15, 2007.

1. volvoben macrumors 6502

Here's my situation quickly:

I get free internet with my apartment, but it's wireless, and it's inadequately secured.

Not being in a position to actually pay for my own darn service (thank you Apple for taking my money), I have set up my WRT54GL with DD-WRT to connect to the router and send the connection to my ancient Netgear RP614v2 router to separate my network, and then to my switch and various computers.

I treat my internet communications pretty cautiously (never give any important information without https, use webmail in public mode etc), but I'd like my little network to be safely separated (I have a server and 4 gigabit networked machines, the shares are password protected but obviously that's a last line of defense).

So what can I do to be secure? I know that I'm separated from the rest of the network by my router, but do I need a better firewall than the old RP614 offers? There don't seem to be any firmware settings in the RP614 for the firewall, should I be looking for anything in particular?

I could talk my parents into letting me switch with their last gen. airport station (they don't even use the wireless) if that has better firewall features...But I could also just suck it up and buy a newer router with a better firewall if that's what I need. Firewalls obviously are not my strong suit in terms of knowledge.

Any input from anyone less ignorant of network security than me is welcome!

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If the cheap old thing truly is a router then either way you have the same security. Both the airport and any other router doesn't have a true firewall but instead NAT. Which just stops traffic from coming in. Thats all. And that is all you need unless you have servers on your network.