Wireless Broadcast Range - 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NOTNlCE, Feb 12, 2015.

1. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows the *theoretical* or even real world broadcast range on a MacBook Pro? My company is running a musical production next weekend and in order to run a slideshow from where I'll be stationed, I'll need to access my MBP remotely to run Keynote. The distance is too long to wire, so I was thinking I would just create a local private network using my MacBook's AirPort card and connect to it using another MacBook of mine. My question is, what's the maximum distance here? I'll have a clear view of the computer, with the only barrier between the two being a Cyc (for you non-theatre people, that's a large white backdrop). I'm not sure what the distance is in reality from the two locations, but probably a couple hundred feet. Is this feasible? Thanks for your input.

-N

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

It really depends on interference in the area (other peoples phones, nearby objects) and the type of network card in both Macs. I know I get better range from my AC router than my N router.

60m/200ft is achievable and in ideal conditions it could be more. The speeds won't be great though. Have you considered high-gain directional antennas for both? Also, at these distances the orientation of the two machines to each other might become important.

The simplest would be to drop by and ask to test your setup.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

I don't think the signal could carry 200 feet. The MBP's antenna isn't really intended for this.

Monoprice has cheap 100ft rolls of cat6 cabling which could suit your needs with a female to female adapter in between.

4. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Thanks for your input, everyone. Apparently, my numbers are off - it's more like 90-100 feet with no obstructions. I've tested a bit, I've hit about 60 feet with significant physical obstructions (walls, doors, etc), and I think I'm going to be OK. The data transfer rate doesn't really need to be fantastic. I'll just need to remotely control one Mac from the other, which a Computer-To -Computer network should be fine for.

Thanks again,
    -N