Wireless capability for old iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lindalee, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Lindalee macrumors newbie

We live in the country and our only high speed connection is via satellite. We're getting ready to change providers and will be using a wireless router to connect an old iMac (10.4.11, 1GHz), a newer iMac (10.4.11, 2.16GHz duo), a Toshiba laptop and a Dell PC. We've never done wireless before and would appreciate some advice:

1. What does the old iMac need in order to go wireless and can we install it ourselves?

2. What router is recommended that will work with both Macs and PC's?

Thanks!

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

1. This is what you want, though you can find it used for much cheaper- try eBay (got one there) or craigslist as examples. Also note that an iMac adaptor is required (I believe) but I think only for the G3s, though I assume at 1GHz yours is the G4 lamp version, which (I don't think) needs it.

2. Basically anything. Except for configuration purposes (and you have PCs so you're fine), wireless is pretty much wireless. Linksys is very reputable and I think generally the best choice, though I have a D-Link that works just fine. I wouldn't bother with Apple's as they are a bit pricy.