Wireless card for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macz1, Feb 4, 2008.

1. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I would like to install an internal airport card in my Mac pro (2008) as I didn't order the wireless BTO option and the USB adapter I tried instead didn't satisfy me.
    When I asked for the card at an apple reseller they said to me that this upgrade would cost a lot of money because they haven't only to order the card but they have to install the antennas as well.
    I went home and checked the interiors of my machine and saw three antenna cables (labeled with 1,2,3) which seem ready to be connected to an airport card. So I don't know if I have to believe this antenna thing.
    Are the antennas already preinstalled in every Mac Pro or do I really have to bring the whole computer to the store?

I would prefer to install the card myself...

2. newtech macrumors 6502

The antenna connectors ( SMB ) are tiny, delicate and easily damaged by a none to light touch. Apple does not consider it to be a Customer Installable Part.

3. macz1 thread starter macrumors 6502

macz1

I know that it's a rather delicate operation, there isn't much room, but i consider myself skilled enough to do it.

I would just like to know whether the antennas are preinstalled in every mac pro (independently of the presence of an airport card) or if I have to install them as well.

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

just out of curiosity, why did you choose to not get the airport card when you bought the machine?

5. macz1 thread starter macrumors 6502

macz1

I have a wireless USB stick. I consider it an elegant solution and think it should have better reception than a antenna inside a metal case.

basically I am very happy with the USB solution BUT the drivers are causing some problems. The signal strength, throughput and connection stability of the stick are excellent, as expected, but randomly once or twice per day, the USB driver causes a kernel panic and after every reboot I have to unplug and replug the stich to be properly recognised.

These panics aren't tolerable and shutting down the computer pressing the start button is also unhealthy for my hard drives...

6. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

There's also a tutorial out there, but it shows you how to do it on an older mac pro and links to an internal Wireless "n" card that costs $90.

Your Apple reseller doesn't know what he's talking about... there indeed is antenna's in your machine and is just waiting on the card itself. You should take it to an Apple store and have them do it. The cost is $45 for the card and $30 for installation.

I haven't found the "n" card anywhere for under thks amount.

7. macz1 thread starter macrumors 6502

macz1

Thank you very much, that's the answer I was waiting for

8. Maxmac34 macrumors newbie

the older "earlier 2008 model" mac did not come with the 3 antena's required for proper MIMO operation, however there is aftermarket antenna upgrades .
    try quicker tek. http://www.mac-pro.com/Quickertek-802-11a-b-g-n-Antenna
    or sonnet http://store1.sonnettech.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_38&products_id=222
    two really good solutions for the fastest and best wireless

9. arobasefr macrumors newbie

10. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I bought a refurb MP and it didn't have the airport in it already, so I had to lug it up to an official Apple Store where I was charged $43 for the part and nothing for the installation. Not sure on the 1st Gen though... But I'd take it to an official store nonetheless.

11. Rick Here macrumors member

The Wifi or Airport card is a Mini PCIe module made by Broadcom. These can be found on Ebay for about $20 or less. BCM94311MCG this is the 802.11G module, Broadcom also make s a "N" version for 108Mbps.
    Here is one on Ebay
    The two small antenna jacks are between the mounting screw holes. They just clip on.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Broadcom-Dell-DW1500-B-G-N-Wifi-Express-minipci-NJ449_W0QQitemZ290264560200QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290264560200&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ebayphotohosting
    These modules are very common in notebooks.

Attached Files:

• d1_1.jpg
      d1_1.jpg
      File size:
      22.2 KB
      Views:
  12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Funny, my local Apple Store (Chandler Fashion Square in Chandler, AZ) just installed an Airport Extreme card in my brother's 1st-gen Mac Pro for $43.00 (parts and labor) plus tax. And I could have sworn that most resellers are charging $50 for the kit alone...

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Out of curiosity...

Would taking the three connector AirPort Extreme card from a faulty/dead MacBook/MacBookPro increase the reception in a early 2008 MacPro? Also, would it offer all four bands (a/b/g/n) too?? Cause current APE cards supplied by Apple for the MacPro only haves two connectors...

14. Rick Here macrumors member

The two antenna connections are for primary antenna and secondary antenna. Not sure what the 3rd connection is for. Check the mfg'ers web site for module details.