Wireless Card for MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LukeConway, Mar 21, 2009.

1. LukeConway macrumors newbie

Can you buy a wireless card for a mac pro at the apple store?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can have it installed there.

Meaning, you buy it and pay for installation all at once.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

tallestskil, I think that if you buy the card, they'll install it free of charge. they told me they'd do that for me, but no apple store had the card for my mac pro classic in stock

4. Aegelward macrumors 6502

You could possibly get one off ebay, but the apple (online at least) store should have the adaptors.

I wonder if a standard PCI adaptor would work/be cheaper

5. sboerup macrumors 6502

I purchased the card at a local Mac Store (NOT an Apple Store) but an authorized Mac Store. $49. I installed it myself, but it was a REAL PAIN IN THE BUTT.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

connecting the leads?

7. sboerup macrumors 6502

Yes, it took me atleast 15 mins to get the first one. Wasn't sure how hard to press, and at the point I thought I was going to break the logic board, it snapped in. The 2nd was a little easier after that, but still, it was rather annoying.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

agreed. My mac pro came with the much maligned Bluetooth SNAFU, and I had an [sarcasm]awesome[/sarcasm] time re-connecting everything.

9. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

What's funny is that a few months ago, I was able to bring my brother's '06 MP into the local Apple store to have the Airport Extreme card installed for $44 (installation included). So, I bought a '08 MP Octo on clearance a couple weeks back and now none of the stores seem to stock the part anymore. They wouldn't order the part, either.

So I picked up the card for $49 at J&R and installed it myself. Connecting the tiny wires to the terminals on the end of the card is a PITA and it takes lots of patience. But after about an hour, I was back up and running with Wi-Fi. I'm pretty handy tech-wise, but if you're not comfortable with working in small spaces with delicate wires, I would recommend taking it into an Apple service center to get it installed for a charge. The card itself isn't hard to insert into the socket, but connecting the antenna wires to the card is.

10. AdamTro macrumors member

11. Whiteyez macrumors regular

Im trying to find from ebay or somewhere else inside europe this card for mac pro 09 quad core but i dont know wich one is the correct, can anyone help pls.

Thanks.

12. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

If you look around ebay around hard enough and have the patience, a broadcom min pci-e wireless card would work perfectly.

I got mine off of ebay for $3.50 shipped from China a few months ago.

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

14. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

If that's a question for me....

then yes it does.