Wireless Card Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by -Norge-, Aug 25, 2011.

1. -Norge- macrumors newbie

So I've been trying to research on what the issue could be and a solution but i am stumped and some advice would be helpful.

When i am at my house (our router is upstairs in our landlords place, we live in the basement) i am not able to connect to the to the wifi. I get the "connection timeout" every time i try and connect. Now i am at now at work and am sitting right beside our airport extreme and i have no issues at all. So to me it seems that my computer is outside of the reachable range at home. To me it shouldn't be as my Iphone 4 has full signal in my whole apartment. I've tried again and again the bunch of solutions posted around the web and none have worked, so i come to the conclusion that it must be my wireless network card that is on the fritz. my macbook is from 2006 so it is getting a little older.

Is the right decision to try and get a new network card? does that makes sense that that is where the problem in lies? and help is appreciated.

Brian

2. DESNOS macrumors 6502

If it works with one router and not the other, then the logical conclusion is it's a router problem. Your Wi-Fi card is fine.

3. -Norge- thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

The router it work on I was sitting right beside. The router it doesnt work on is upstairs in my landlords place. So it seems the router at my house is to far away for my MacBook. I'm only confused because I get full signal on my iPhone. Which makes me think something's wrong with my MacBook.

4. DESNOS macrumors 6502

Routers are not all created equal. I assume your landlord's router is different from the airport extreme. If you want to be certain, try connecting to the router that works from a large distance and see if it still works. If it does, then either it's some configuration problem with the settings for the basestation on your MacBook, or it's a configuration problem with the basestation itself.

I can speak from experience here when I say that non-Apple routers tend to be very hit-or-miss. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it's a router problem.