Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uinluan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Everyone

With the security changes that Apple has been making in iOS 12. Does anyone know if wireless CarPlay will connect automatically when you get into the car. Or since iOS 12 default setting is to require the phone to be unlocked to connect to a wired CarPlay System, the wireless connection has the same requirement? I only asked because I am thinking about getting a wireless head unit in my car. However, I don't want to spend the money if I still have to take my phone out every time and unlock it for CarPlay to work.

lynchdavidh

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2018
New York
I have to unlock my iPhone every single time I get into the car and connect it via USB.

However, I just update to iOS 12.6 and if you go to Settings -> General -> CarPlay -> Your Car, there's a switch you can turn on to "Allow CarPlay While Locked." This may fix the issue!

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
I have a 2018 BMW X3 with wireless CarPlay. It connects immediately as soon as I start the car. You don't need to unlock the phone for it to connect.

It's been like this since I got it in December

That being said, I don't think I could ever go to another car without wireless CarPlay. My wife is jealous every time she gets in my car. Pair wireless CarPlay with a magnetic wireless charger and you're good to go

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I have a 2018 BMW X3 with wireless CarPlay. It connects immediately as soon as I start the car. You don't need to unlock the phone for it to connect.

It's been like this since I got it in December

That being said, I don't think I could ever go to another car without wireless CarPlay. My wife is jealous every time she gets in my car. Pair wireless CarPlay with a magnetic wireless charger and you're good to go

Same story here, same car. Got mine in January though :) I have the wireless charging feature, but most of the time I never even take it out of my pocket. The sound quality is actually much improved over Bluetooth, and indistinguishable from USB connection.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
The wireless piece of CarPlay has been on the vehicle manufacturers to implement, which they have been slow to do. I think its limited to BMW and maybe Volkswagen at this point. As far as using while locked, the setting referred to above in the CarPlay settings has been there since at least iOS 10.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I have often wondered (and wished) if a wireless charging pad could be made that also passed/connected to CarPlay. Would be great to add a wireless charging pad and have it connect to CarPlay killing 2 birds with one stone and adding Wireless CarPlay to existing wired CarPlay cars.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
It isn't only pay with BMW but you have to buy the full technology upgrade Navigation system and then pay. For me one of the main uses of CarPlay is navigation so why would I want to pay BMW $2,000 and then a subscription. I've owned 10 BMW's over the years but probably no more because of their greed in issues such as this

mrj412

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
No issues with iOS 12 and wireless CarPlay in my 2019 Mini - Connects automatically. I rarely take my phone out of my pocket when driving around town anymore, super convenient.

Reactions: cwanja

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
It isn't only pay with BMW but you have to buy the full technology upgrade Navigation system and then pay. For me one of the main uses of CarPlay is navigation so why would I want to pay BMW $2,000 and then a subscription. I've owned 10 BMW's over the years but probably no more because of their greed in issues such as this
I thought the same way when I was purchasing my Honda. I did not want to get one with the navigation because I could just use CarPlay. I ended up with a Touring because of other features, but that was my original mindset.

Anyone who will pay for the infotainment center and THEN pay for a subscription on top of that is insane. It is a poor business model choice for BMW and one I hope other automakers do not follow.

originalmagneto

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2015
Slovakia
I have a brand new Hyundai that has car play. I assume to go wireless I’ll need a new system. I’d love to be completely wireless

I have the 2017 Hyundai i30 with CarPlay + WiFi and a Qi charger built-in, but no wireless CarPlay for me, which seems dumb. Why have a Qi charger in the car when I have to plug it in every time I want to use CarPlay I contacted Hyundai to tell me if they are planning to upgrade the infotainment system with wCarplay but they were cagey with their responses. From what I read, Hyundai is pretty good with updates so I’m hoping to get wCarplay soon

Reactions: Goner259er

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I have to unlock my iPhone every single time I get into the car and connect it via USB.

However, I just update to iOS 12.6 and if you go to Settings -> General -> CarPlay -> Your Car, there's a switch you can turn on to "Allow CarPlay While Locked." This may fix the issue!
This has been around for a while, I have not needed to unlock my iPhone since I got a CarPlay equipped Subaru in December 2017. It popped up and asked me the first time I connected if I would let CarPlay work while the phone was locked.

Handsome Bacon

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Have a 2018 Genesis G80 5.0 with CarPlay although it needs to be plugged in. That said, I think it sucks for a lot of reasons, namely Apple's stubbornness to allow Waze. I know it's supposed to be coming in iOS 12, but I'm about over this company. It's allowed on the phone, but I'm aggravated I'm stuck with Apple's sucky maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.