wireless cell amplifiers for iphones

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mac-I-bear, Sep 11, 2008.

1. mac-I-bear macrumors member

i live on a rural area and given the antenna locations around my house, in most areas of my house all i can get is a fraction of a signal bar on my iPhone. as soon as i get to an urban area there is plenty.

i know there are wireless cell amplifiers to boost reception and transmition, i have seen some on display and on the web bUT never in operation.

the sellers claim fantastic performance, customer reviews give a lot of stars. the prices range from $300 to $600

Has any of you purchase and use one of this devices with your iPhone ?

2. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

I just bought two 3G iPhones and one 3GS. Like the previous poster, I live in a rural area. With my Sprint phone I had some coverage at home (but weak). With the iPhone I have a piece of one bar - sometimes, but usually I get no service. Does anyone have any experience with a booster that will work with teh new 3G and 3GS iPhones?

3. mac-I-bear thread starter macrumors member

rural areas

i think we are the only two people that have iphones and live out the city (and cell phone towers) limits
    LOL - the strength of the signal driving home has increase in some areas due to the AT&T to expand coverage but not close to home YET
    maybe in 2020
    LOL

4. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

Well, Mac-I-Bear I'm hoping that someone will chime in with a recommendation. I was in the AT&T store today and the lady said that where I live they are working on new tower that should improve my service (any service at al would be an improvement). In the mean time, I know I am just barely outside the service area and if I could find the proper amplifier I might be able to at least have cell coverage of some sort at home. If I find anything out I'll post it here.

Basil

5. mac-I-bear thread starter macrumors member

all i can tell you is third hand information i gathered during my search for a solution... i even drove 80 miles to check an authorized retailer of one of the devices.
    there are several devices out there claiming boosting cellular signals to improve communications. the more credible devices have two antennas operating on a master slave fashion. the master is suppose to be located as high as possible where you have the strongest signal ( which for me is third of a bar where my street mailbox is! my neighbors will love a tall poll with an antenna right there LOL); some brands need the master antenna to be oriented to the closest known tower ( i have not found reliable information on where att towers are location; matter of national security LOL ); on all of them, the distance between the master and slave antenna is critical, most specs call for around 30 ft, the few customer reviews i read time ago talked about longer distances else the interference between the two antennas makes the system useless which is clearly spelled out on the manuals; there is a brainy box where both antennas connect; then there are spatial considerations, vertical or horizontal distances between antenna and box

the catch indeed is in the distance between the antennas; the systems ship with cables for both antennas that may not fit your length needs, mostly are longer than you think; joining extra cables is not really good, adds attenuation to your signal, so here comes the extra cash for a one-piece longer cable.

to their credibility, the majority of satisfied customers live in urban areas where there is good signal but poor reception due to surrounding taller buildings. placing the master antenna on their roofs solves the problems. on rural areas, like where i live, it really boils down to towers. my son's phone carrier is verizon and he gets enough signal to use it. his prior carrier was the old alltel and we had good enough signal too.
    i figure that att will spend money to provide 3G coverage to current serviced areas than expand the rural tower situation.
    after my research i still did not want to go and spend $500 to try to see if it worked. by the time you get your money back after returning the device... you have an ulcer. still love my iPhone and will not change it for anything.. when i'm home i can still use my land phone. One day other carrier may be added to the iphone list of providers and all be good.

6. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Also it would appear that AT&T is going to roll out femtocells soon (aka little cellboosters that utilize your broadband to create a little household cell site.

I'm not certain when, but reportedly they are in testing...

7. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

FemtoCell will be rolled out later on this year. Most likely 3rd Qtr of 2009 so if you can hang on til then, you would be saving some money without having to buy 400 machine.

8. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502