Wireless charger recomendations

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ozaz, Jul 27, 2016.

1. ozaz macrumors 65816

I haven't got a wireless charger yet but am planning on buying one for my office desk and a few locations in my home.

Do some chargers have better performance and features than others or do they mainly differ on aesthetics and ergonomics?

Is there one you can recommend that you are particularly happy with?

I originally intend to use them with my Galaxy S6. But I don't envisage moving away from the Galaxy S series in the foreseeable future so my next phone will probably be an S7 or S8.

Thanks

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Doesn't Samsung offer fast wireless charging but only via their charging pad?

I'm sure it's probably a bit more expensive but there quicker charge times may be worth it to you.

3. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

Highly recommend this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010B6PSMC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

This one is great. It's reliable and surprisingly fast. No adjusting needed to set your device in the "right" spot. I just plop it down and it goes.

I have the Samsung fast wireless charging pad, too. Also reliable and good and even faster, but it's flat. I prefer a standing wireless charger. The stand one is more affordable, too.

4. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Is Samsung the only one that does 'fast' wireless charging?

Is there some standard speed threshold that defines fast wireless charging or is 'fast' in this context just a subjective term?

5. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

I am sure there are others that exist out there. As for what defines fast, not sure. But the Samsung fast wireless charger does charge pretty fast.

Isn't it just more amperage? More power? I believe fast chargers are 5V? Or something? Whereas normal ones are 1 or 2V? Again, not sure.

For what it's worth, the charging stand I linked you to is rated at: 5V 2Amps Power Adapter

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I thought from reading over at XDA that three coil chargers were fast charge and two coils was normal. Don't hold me to that though because I tend to skim if people go into depth about things I'm not that interested in.

7. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

I thought the three coils had more to do with affecting the placement of your device. Three coils charge more easily whereas two coils mean you might have to reposition your device to start the wireless charging.

8. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

9. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

10. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

That's a great price if it's genuine. Has anyone bought from them and can confirm?

11. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I didn't get mine from them. I got mine from Samsung and paid a lot more :(

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

[​IMG]

Got mine from Amazon, £32 I think it was. Very good to have and charges in about 2 hours, 20

13. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Samsung uses it's own fast charging standard, so other wireless fast chargers might work or might not, or can even do damage if the output is too high.

15. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

16. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I would think it is authentic....just not with Samsung's markup.

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Holy crap that's a nice price, it has to be a knock off. The Samsung charger is the route I'm going, even though its an arm and a leg. The other wireless chargers all heat up myy note 5 where it almost feels like it would burn my hand. I believe the Samsung charger has a fan and vents in the back so it should run cooler. I also am wary of trusting my almost $900 phone to some small Chinese company off of amazon.

18. admob71 Suspended

admob71

I got a non branded one from amazon, a fiver delivered, serves my edge plus a treat, I just leave it on my desk, so every non phone call is seamlessly charging the device. Spot on..

19. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

????

20. admob71 Suspended

admob71

I'll use better English, in between phone calls, I just lay my phone on my desk on the pad and it's instantly charging, no fuss, no mess. Simple. It was from a UK seller as well, no Chinese rubbish..

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

22. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

The official Samsung fast wireless charging stand is on sale at Target for 41.99. I wouldn't risk that one it might be a knock off.

23. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Buy it at staples.com, slightly cheaper with the 110% price match, though I think with the target red card it's about the same.

Item Link: http://www.staples.com/Samsung-EP-N...ing-Stand-for-Galaxy-S7-S6/product_IM13D7389?
    110% Price Match Promotion: http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/pmg/index.html

The White one is about $41.XX on Amazon.

24. spinedoc77, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016

spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77