Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjsharks13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Does anyone know if any wireless charger will work for the iPhone x? I have one of those Samsung convertible fast chargers. Would that work? Asking before I have to buy a different one.

BeefSupreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Does anyone know if any wireless charger will work for the iPhone x? I have one of those Samsung convertible fast chargers. Would that work? Asking before I have to buy a different one.

Looks like all the Qi chargers should work.
Apple already has belkin and mophie pads
(That have been on the market for awhile for other phones) on their ordering page.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I've read numerous reviews and videos trying different wireless charging pads - even the cheapo ones, and nobody has reported a Qi charging pad that hasn't worked with the 8/8+. No reason to think it would be any different for the X.

I got the Belkin Boost Up because it came with the power adapter and supports 7.5W charging. Works great with my 8 - it starts charging 1/4 second or less after it's placed on the pad.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I've read numerous reviews and videos trying different wireless charging pads - even the cheapo ones, and nobody has reported a Qi charging pad that hasn't worked with the 8/8+. No reason to think it would be any different for the X.

I got the Belkin Boost Up because it came with the power adapter and supports 7.5W charging. Works great with my 8 - it starts charging 1/4 second or less after it's placed on the pad.

Choosing a third party wireless charger seems confusing as even if they're Qi - most seem to not come with their own charging brick. Is there any particular way we'd know if 1. the pad offers 7.5W as the two apple store offerings will? and 2. which bricks are necessary to make those pads able to push 7.5W?

I hope that question makes sense. Would love you add a couple more pads - already dropped some serious coin on various things for my 8+, though - but, really would like to avoid dropping $60+tax a pop for Belkin/Mophie.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Choosing a third party wireless charger seems confusing as even if they're Qi - most seem to not come with their own charging brick. Is there any particular way we'd know if 1. the pad offers 7.5W as the two apple store offerings will? and 2. which bricks are necessary to make those pads able to push 7.5W?

I hope that question makes sense. Would love you add a couple more pads - already dropped some serious coin on various things for my 8+, though - but, really would like to avoid dropping $60+tax a pop for Belkin/Mophie.
You have to read the fine print on the charging pads. If they're cheap (<$30) it's most likely they cannot support 7.5W charging no matter how powerful your brick is. I think it's a function of the chipset and the coil, not just the juice the brick can deliver.

I believe the two Apple Store offerings support 7.5W charging; I have the Belkin and it definitely does. For me it was worth the piece of mind I get because a) it was an Apple-Belkin collaboration, b) it's "endorsed" by Apple so no excuses, and c) if Apple sells it, it should be of good quality.

You have an $800+ phone, why cheap out on what's charging it every day?

Reactions: Cascades42

Ebru

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
I only charge at night got a 2 wireless charging pads for $24 total. They work great the only issue is that once the phone is charged, phone will beep every 5 minutes or so. I’ve resolved that by turning do not disturb on and the other mute button on the side of the phone (I’m an iPhone amateur so forgive me for not using the correct apple verbiage)

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
I only charge at night got a 2 wireless charging pads for $24 total. They work great the only issue is that once the phone is charged, phone will beep every 5 minutes or so. I’ve resolved that by turning do not disturb on and the other mute button on the side of the phone (I’m an iPhone amateur so forgive me for not using the correct apple verbiage)
Gosh, that defeats the purpose of convenience using a wireless charger o_O
So instead of just plugging your phone with the Lightning cable, now you place your phone on the charging pad AND have to switch on Do Not Disturb mode each time.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
This should not happen, I never heard of a "beep every 5 minutes or so" being related to charging on an iPhone.

It's beeping for some other reason.

Ebru

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
This should not happen, I never heard of a "beep every 5 minutes or so" being related to charging on an iPhone.

It's beeping for some other reason.

It's the same sound as if you were plugging a charger in.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
It's the same sound as if you were plugging a charger in.
So it sounds like the charger stops charging completely when the phone reaches 100%, and when the phone charge % drops, the charger starts again, causing the chime. It's like the wireless charger is disconnecting and reconnecting.

A properly designed charger shouldn't do this; it should keep the connection. You'll need to try another charger.

Ebru

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
So it sounds like the charger stops charging completely when the phone reaches 100%, and when the phone charge % drops, the charger starts again, causing the chime. It's like the wireless charger is disconnecting and reconnecting.

A properly designed charger shouldn't do this; it should keep the connection. You'll need to try another charger.

Exactly.

I was going to deal with it..However already have the chargers packed up for return. Went to a Verizon store all they have is the Samsung ones. So.. went ahead and ordered the Belkin from Apple store. Lol

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Exactly.

I was going to deal with it..However already have the chargers packed up for return. Went to a Verizon store all they have is the Samsung ones. So.. went ahead and ordered the Belkin from Apple store. Lol

The Belkin seems to do the same. It chimes at night. Do not disturb will not help. Only the mute switch seems to do the trick.

Ebru

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
The Belkin seems to do the same. It chimes at night. Do not disturb will not help. Only the mute switch seems to do the trick.

i thought i had ordered the Belkin, I posted after I placed my order, turns out I ordered the mophie one lol.. it arrives tomorrow so I'll post an update and see if I run into the same issue.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
i thought i had ordered the Belkin, I posted after I placed my order, turns out I ordered the mophie one lol.. it arrives tomorrow so I'll post an update and see if I run into the same issue.
Thinking with the issues I’m seening on this board I’m just going to wait for the Apple version for wireless charging :) looks nicer and can charge the watch, phone, and AirPods at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.