Wireless charging (airpods)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by eclipse01, Apr 25, 2019.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Probably a really dumb question, but get you charge the "wireless" airpods case on the puck charger the apple watch comes with?

2. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

That's a good question. I don't know if the watch charger is strong enough to charge the airpod case.

3. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

4. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

didn't think so, would have been nice if they made some use out of that charger other than just for the watch.

5. F23 macrumors member

F23

Yes, my AirPods wireless case charges wirelessly on my Series 0 Apple Watch charger confirmed.

6. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Ok? Conflicting answers?

7. WilliamG macrumors G3

It doesn’t work.

8. F23 macrumors member

F23

well I'm telling you that mine does work. that's strange.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2019 ---
    i've mentioned this before on here and to other people's surprise, they tried it & it worked for them also. only some, not all tho. so it's definitely weird how it's random.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Airpods cannot wirelessly charge on the Apple Watch OEM charger. It is impossible.

10. F23 macrumors member

F23

11. WilliamG macrumors G3

Attached Files:

12. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

And absolutely 100% no charging when tried here on both the plain charging pad (as shown in the above pics) and on the Apple Watch charging stand with the connector folded flat. Absolutely nothing.

13. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

I wonder if it could in any way be related to the version of the charging puck. I tried with an Apple original version charging stand (designed around the S0-S3 shape) and my wife's S3 charging puck from an S3.

It could be that S4 pucks are slightly flatter given the redesign of the back of the case..?

14. eclipse01, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Not that i don't believe either of you but i wish more people would contribute to confirm lol

15. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

Yes it's true that if you open and close the case it lights up for about 3 seconds but really do you think he/she did that?

16. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

17. Monkswhiskers macrumors member

Here's an even dumber question. How DO you charge the wireless case? When you buy the charging case, I assume no charging facility comes with it?

18. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Actually, it's the other way around, the S4's pucks are more concave, because the back of the S4 has a taller dome than the earlier models.

The 44mm S4 back has a 1.52mm tall dome, while the 42mm S3 has a 1.07mm dome (or 1.22mm for the LTE model), to cite one comparison.

I noticed this by eyeball comparing a puck bundled with a new S4, vs. one from an S3, and Apple's dimensional drawings confirm it. That could be why some third-party accessories that don't employ the OE MFi puck are turning out to be incompatible with the S4.

Since the AirPower failure leaves Apple in an uncertain position regarding its own first-party multiple-device charger, it should just open up the Watch and AirPods to standard Qi charging as with the iPhones and save everyone a lot of headache.

And while they're at it, improve the communication handshake so that the indicator lights on all standard Qi chargers function properly and acknowledge when an iPhone is fully charged. Some do, but most don't.

These kinds of uncertainly do users no favors.

19. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

It comes with a lightning cable for non wireless charging as it supports both. I have the limited edition Belkin Boost Up which I charge my iPhone Xs and Airpods on.