Wireless charging and how does it work ...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 81Tiger04, May 27, 2017.

1. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

I'm getting a new car and one of the add-ons is wireless phone charging. For it to work, I would need a Qi case for my iPhone 6. So I guess I have the following question:
    • Is Qi charging a technology of the future or past? I ask because I will be upgrading to a new iPhone when it comes out (not the $1000 one though). I don't want to get this for my car but find out that the technology is irrelevant with the new iPhones.

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Fr.o.m. What i seen,that kind of wireless chargers are not future or past,it's present technology. Ikea sell something similar with cases up to iPhone 7+. So,I guess there will be cases available for newer iPhones too.

3. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

So if I got wireless charging added on ($300), I'd be able to use it for a few years (i.e. the new iPhone at least)?

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Most likely.
    most likely yes.

5. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

Your buying a VW aren't you?;)

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Wireless charging in a moving automobile doesn't make sense.what am I missing?

7. Ralfi macrumors 6502a

Ralfi

You've got me thinking now....does the phone need to be absolutely still on the charging surface for charging to be at its most efficient?

If so, then the area for charging would need to be designed to minimise movement, & with the various sized handsets on the market, the smaller ones are at risk of moving around.

But if the phone compartment is like that in my VW, with a grippy surface, then it'd help to keep it still.

8. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

How can it not make sense? It is no different than having the phone plugged in is it?

Very handy when Apple release wireless CarPlay as long as Apple get with the 21st century and include wireless charging.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

What I mean is that all wireless charging equipment I've seen has been designed to be lying flat on a still surface. I haven't seen VW's implementation, but I'm unsure of how it would work when a vehicle is constantly surging forward, backward, and side to side.

10. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I'm sure that they thought about it for a minute and came up with the idea of tilting the compartment. Simples, even works in my wife's R during a launch control start 0-60 in 4 seconds.
    IMG_0683.JPG