Wireless charging and magnet mounts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goofy810, Sep 28, 2017.

1. goofy810 macrumors regular

So I got the iphone 8 and will use it till I get the iphone X, (the wife will get the iphone 8 then). Last night i tried it with my old iphone 7 case that has the plate in it for the magnet mount in my car. It would not charge, it showed charging at first and then dropped off with in 1 min. does anyone know if there is a way to use a case with a magnet mount and still use the wireless charging ?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The metal plate is getting in the way of the inductive charging. You will need to remove it or go back to plugging in the lightning cable.

3. goofy810 thread starter macrumors regular

is there a way to put one somewhere on the phone where it wont ? any idea where the inductive plate is?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

There is a induction coil built and glued into the glass back of your phone. Any metallic object in front of that coil would interfere in it's operation. I do not know the exact location, I would guess in the center of the device from the images I have seen with a diameter of nearly the width of the phone.

5. snatefinch macrumors member

My friend was looking at car mounts that include wireless charging for this exact reason. From what I have seen on Amazon, the car mounts that are magnetic and support wireless charging use 4 small magnets instead of 1 big one. They attach to the phone/case around where the coil is so that they won't interfere.

This doesn't show the metal pieces of the case/phone, but you can see the small magnets around the coil in one picture.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Nil...17378&sr=8-5&keywords=qi+wireless+car+charger

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You can go to iFixIt and see the actual enclosed coil.