Wireless charging and the S3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by HurricaneTrack, Sep 23, 2017.

1. HurricaneTrack macrumors member

HurricaneTrack

Folks with the new Apple Watch Series 3...during the keynote, Apple said their wireless charging mat would be coming out in 2018. This implies that the new S3 (assuming cellular and non-cellular) are Qi certified though I cannot find the documentation for this.

With having a wireless charger for my new iPhone 8+, I am wondering if that same wireless charger will also work with the S3? Anyone know?

2. jsawy3r macrumors member

3. DblHelix macrumors 6502

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not to rain on your parade but there's nothing in the AirMat announcement to really suggest the S3 is Qi compatible. The AirMat could as easily support Qi and also support whatever the S3 uses. Much of it is the mat negotiating the induction charging with the device. Qi specifies a particular negotiation, and I'm sure the watches negotiate in some manner since my S2 doesn't work on my existing Qi pads even though they "notice" the watch being set down on it.

I suspect in time folks will post up what they've found to work.

5. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

Anybody tested Qi charging mats with the AW3 yet?

6. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I have a "Choetech" one from Amazon, it charges the Note 8 and iPhone 8, however when I put the AW3 on it, I get a fast blue pulse on the charger - like an 'error' type light/code.

7. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

I have a Prius and I have not tried the wireless charging my Series 3 with it yet. I doubt it will work. Anyone tried this yet?