Wireless charging AW4 . . .

Luba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Anybody here use a Qi wireless charger to charge their Apple Watch 4? How fast is wireless charging an AW4 compared to using Apple's magnetic charge puck?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The Apple Watch IS wireless charging. The magnet only holds the watch close and doesn't connect any wires. Apple Watch uses a propriety version of Qi. However you can't use a standard Qi charger because of the "tweaks' Apple added to its version of Qi.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
It’s the magnet that tells the Watch to start charging.
The magnets are only for convince and to hold the case close to/on the puck. It has no direct relation to the induction charging. Remove all magnets and set watch on the puck and it will charge the same, unless it falls off.

Reactions: ivanwi11iams

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Honestly, Apple really try to 'lock' you into their ecosystem...
Yes, but luckily they have change (at least on using proprietary Qi) and the iPhone is standard Qi. Too bad the Apple watch was designed a couple of years before Apple decided to use standard Qi charging.

Reactions: ivanwi11iams

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
some qi charges will work, but not all

I'm not sure how they "lock you into ther" ecosystem, lots of other people make watch chargers.
I've got a nice combo watch charger with a leather qi pad for the phone from nomad.

It's kinda how I'm "locked" into buying appliances made for the US, since plugs from other places don't fit the outlet.

and the round puck is a great shape for charging the phone without having to remove the band,
If you've got a band without a buckle, you have to remove one side to get it to get the back of the band out of the way so it can sit on the pad. or loop the band all the way around the pad, meaning the pad won't sit flat anymore.
and on the bands with a buckle, they come out of the watch going downward so they will curve around your wrist, meaning they tend to lift the watch up a bit when set on a flat surface, possibly causing poor contact with the pad.

about once every month or 2, I don't get my phone centered on the pad well, meaning it doesn't charge overnight.
with the smaller charging "sweet spot" of the watch, I can imagine getting it lined up without the magnets would be a bit tricky.

ivanwi11iams

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
Somewhere on Earth
All I meant was Apple don't natively make devices and such to work with 'everything' outside of their ecosystem.
That's all...

some qi charges will work, but not all

I'm not sure how they "lock you into ther" ecosystem, lots of other people make watch chargers.
I've got a nice combo watch charger with a leather qi pad for the phone from nomad.

It's kinda how I'm "locked" into buying appliances made for the US, since plugs from other places don't fit the outlet.

and the round puck is a great shape for charging the phone without having to remove the band,
If you've got a band without a buckle, you have to remove one side to get it to get the back of the band out of the way so it can sit on the pad. or loop the band all the way around the pad, meaning the pad won't sit flat anymore.
and on the bands with a buckle, they come out of the watch going downward so they will curve around your wrist, meaning they tend to lift the watch up a bit when set on a flat surface, possibly causing poor contact with the pad.

about once every month or 2, I don't get my phone centered on the pad well, meaning it doesn't charge overnight.
with the smaller charging "sweet spot" of the watch, I can imagine getting it lined up without the magnets would be a bit tricky.