Wireless charging case (qi)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AlteMac, Sep 14, 2016.

1. AlteMac macrumors regular

AlteMac

2. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Dog & Bone offers currently for the 6s, so there's a very good chance that it will be available for the 7 and "hopefully" for the 7 plus sooner rather than late.

3. kjparfekt macrumors regular

kjparfekt

Doesn't use Qi but I love the set up I have on my iPhone 6 plus.

I have the Carte Blanche clear charging case for the iPhone 6 plus and I love it. It's a slim case that slide into a charging case when you want the juice. This means you can go from slim to battery case in a second and the slim case is always on for protection. Also means you can charge your phone and the case at the same time if you're getting ready to go somewhere and only have a limited amount of time to charge (also means you can charge via lightning cable straight on the phone or micro usb to the phone through the case). My favorite phone accessory of all time. They're taking pre orders for the 7 plus and it's half price at only $50 but I have no idea when it will ship.

4. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Just checked this out. It's huge! Incredible
    Thick. Something half the thickness would be ideal.

5. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

I've used wireless charging packs before.. but they are so easy to break that I finally gave up. Basically you put it in any case you have, then push the connector into the lightning port. Set the phone on a wireless puck, it should charge through the case. Assuming of course you don't use a really thick case. Wireless charging that way is slow though, I can plug into the lightning port and have it charge up in basically half the time. But since you have something taking up your lightning port that is also a bit difficult and how I broke several of the charging packs.. because I had to unplug to plug something else into the port. Ultimately, this is the only way I could get to use the case I wanted plus wireless charging.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yep, I'm currently experiementing with this since my new car has a Qi charging pad installed from the factory.

It certainly is convenient just setting the phone down on a charging pad at the office or at home to top up the charge. I already have a "spot" I typically set the thing down at, now I just have a charging pad sitting there and don't mess with a cord.

With that said I typically don't plug my phone into anything except to charge it.

7. Piggy_Hilton Suspended

Piggy_Hilton

I am also curious about the wireless charging. I think it is very cheap now, isn't it? My friend just got one Yoobao wireless charger from Amazon, only costed 5.99 USD! He likes it very much and said it is very worthy. But I only use iPhone. iPhone doesn't support wireless charging and I am lazy to get a receiver for that. I like to use power bank to charge my iPhone.
    Wireless charging, let's wait and see...

8. AlteMac thread starter macrumors regular

AlteMac

The Nillkin available on Amazon is very good. Also Mophie has. Juice pack air that I have been using when traveling because it just about doubles the battery capacity. It is bulky but it also has a micro USB port for when you want to charge via a cord. That's more durable than the fiddly ligntning connectors that need to be detached.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed, I've had one for three months and it's been flawless. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M346Q8T

I use this pad at home and at work (I have a couple of them): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HM72QQY

In the car I use this mount/charger: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Wireless-Nillkin-Charging-Universal/dp/B01NCL9E2H

I've not plugged my phone in to a charger cord in months. With the Qi pads at office and home where I normally set my phone down anyway it stays charged and charging speed isn't a factor.

10. jlczl macrumors regular

I have the mophie juice pack air and the additional capacity together with the wireless charging makes it quite a great case.

11. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Here's a response from Mophie regarding CarPlay with their new cases:

Thats a tough question.
    Since it supports data pass through, it should be compatible, but we have heard sporadically that it occasionally doesn't work with some vehicles. So since we can't reasonably test compatibility with all makes and models, its hard to be more concrete.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Wired CarPlay is a pain in the azz, particularly if you're running errands so you're in and out of the car plugging and unplugging the phone every time. Prefer to just leave your phone in your jacket pocket or backpack? Sorry, you're SOL if you want anything but bluetooth audio streaming.

While Toyota's Entune setup has its own issues, it being wireless makes it far more convenient. Especially when coupled with a Qi charging car mount.

Wireless CarPlay should have been pushed out a lot sooner.

13. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I can agree with your first statement. I only do CarPlay when I'm traveling 30 minutes or more. For short hops I just let the BT (without streaming because quality sucks) connect for the phone.

My concern with Mophie (micro USB) is when I get a new vehicle w/CarPlay will it have connectivity issues? I never understood why they never went with a lightning connector.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just wait for wireless carplay to be more widespread. Hopefully that'd be in the next couple years. I honestly can't fathom why it's taking so long to be adopted.

15. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Oh I would love that. I wonder how many plug/unplug ratings a lightning port has? I'm sure Apple has stats on it.