iPhone X Wireless Charging Effects?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iModFrenzy, Sep 28, 2018.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I’ve had my iPhone X for a year now, and not much have I touched a wireless charger. Due to myself being under the impression, that wireless charging isn’t really ready yet, for two reasons:

• Heat, wireless charging generates heat which is not good for the device
    • Battery degradation, I have read that due to the heat. The battery tends to degrade.
    Can any full wireless charger users comment on this? And maybe how much battery capacity is left?

I’d like to look into a wireless charger, but this phone is intended to last me 3 years. So I am trying to prevent down-the-line issues.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

I used wireless only for a year on my X. Never a problem and capacity was still 100%. I wouldn't worry about any issues.

3. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

I've had my X since the middle of December. I have charged it with wireless only. It charges every night while I am sleeping. My battery health still shows 100% Max capacity.

4. seezar macrumors regular

Used wireless charging daily on my X. In almost a years time my battery health just dropped to 99%. I’m not worried about any bad effects from it.

5. jdsmitty10 macrumors regular

I don’t get the point of it. If I have to set it on a pad to charge why not just plug the lightning cable in?

6. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

If you don't have to plug the cable in, why do it? I lay the phone down when I go to bed and pick it up when I get up in the morning. Pretty simple.

7. jdsmitty10 macrumors regular

I get what your saying. I guess I’m just too cheap to go buy a charger to lay my phone on when I have a free one to plug my phone into? Never really looked into it(new to the wirelessly chargeable phone thing).

8. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

I use the Anker wireless charger from Amazon. $19.99 Pretty cheap for the convenience provided.

9. jdsmitty10 macrumors regular

Thanks. I will look into trying one

10. OBirder macrumors 6502

OBirder

E.g. I use a car mount with wireless charging. I use Navigation from my phone all the time. Now I just put it in the mount and it automatically charges. Before I had to put in the mount and plug a cable in. Much easier now!

11. Ebok Suspended

it's convenience.

12. doboy macrumors 68020

My phone nor the charger gets even warm using my 10W Anker Qi charger with a built in fan.

13. AeroUK macrumors 6502

AeroUK

How is this possible? I charged every night for a year and now mine is at 92% capacity.

14. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

Did you charged it via lightning cable or wirelessly? I too was using only wireless then bought the Apple fast charger and immediately saw my battery degraded... Wireless is the way to go... Slow charge but super safe for the battery.

15. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

I’ve been using wireless charging as my primary way to charge the device, and is more than often on my charging pad when I’m at home. And it just finally dropped one percent last week, and I’ve been doing this since launch. Seems fine.

16. doboy macrumors 68020

Maybe you drain your battery more than he does before charging so you have higher cycle count.

17. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

Probably avoid killing the battery maybe.
    My iPhone X is now 99% and my phone is constantly on the wireless charging pad when at home, always being charged in the car while driving, etc.

18. rjp1 macrumors regular

89% after less than a year of charging with the lightning cable. It gets hot when charging. Not really sure where you got the bad info on wireless charging.

19. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Witeless and wired charging since December on my X and showing 98% capacity..