Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
I’ve had my iPhone X for a year now, and not much have I touched a wireless charger. Due to myself being under the impression, that wireless charging isn’t really ready yet, for two reasons:

• Heat, wireless charging generates heat which is not good for the device
  • Battery degradation, I have read that due to the heat. The battery tends to degrade.
Can any full wireless charger users comment on this? And maybe how much battery capacity is left?

I’d like to look into a wireless charger, but this phone is intended to last me 3 years. So I am trying to prevent down-the-line issues.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
Used wireless charging daily on my X. In almost a years time my battery health just dropped to 99%. I’m not worried about any bad effects from it.

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I don’t get the point of it. If I have to set it on a pad to charge why not just plug the lightning cable in?

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
If you don't have to plug the cable in, why do it? I lay the phone down when I go to bed and pick it up when I get up in the morning. Pretty simple.
I get what your saying. I guess I’m just too cheap to go buy a charger to lay my phone on when I have a free one to plug my phone into? Never really looked into it(new to the wirelessly chargeable phone thing).

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I get what your saying. I guess I’m just too cheap to go buy a charger to lay my phone on when I have a free one to plug my phone into? Never really looked into it(new to the wirelessly chargeable phone thing).

I use the Anker wireless charger from Amazon. $19.99 Pretty cheap for the convenience provided.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
I don’t get the point of it. If I have to set it on a pad to charge why not just plug the lightning cable in?

E.g. I use a car mount with wireless charging. I use Navigation from my phone all the time. Now I just put it in the mount and it automatically charges. Before I had to put in the mount and plug a cable in. Much easier now!

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
My phone nor the charger gets even warm using my 10W Anker Qi charger with a built in fan.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Did you charged it via lightning cable or wirelessly? I too was using only wireless then bought the Apple fast charger and immediately saw my battery degraded... Wireless is the way to go... Slow charge but super safe for the battery.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I’ve been using wireless charging as my primary way to charge the device, and is more than often on my charging pad when I’m at home. And it just finally dropped one percent last week, and I’ve been doing this since launch. Seems fine.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
How is this possible? I charged every night for a year and now mine is at 92% capacity.

Probably avoid killing the battery maybe.
My iPhone X is now 99% and my phone is constantly on the wireless charging pad when at home, always being charged in the car while driving, etc.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
89% after less than a year of charging with the lightning cable. It gets hot when charging. Not really sure where you got the bad info on wireless charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.