wireless charging mat question

hjernazian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Hello, got an iPhone X on the way, and own a series 2 apple watch. from what I can tell browsing through amazon and the apple store, there seems to be only a wireless charger for one device, and I am still unsure if the series 2 watch supports this capability.

1- does the watch support this ? (series 2)

2- does anyone know (or know of when) a larger charging surface is available?

thanks in advance.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Hello, got an iPhone X on the way, and own a series 2 apple watch. from what I can tell browsing through amazon and the apple store, there seems to be only a wireless charger for one device, and I am still unsure if the series 2 watch supports this capability.

1- does the watch support this ? (series 2)

2- does anyone know (or know of when) a larger charging surface is available?

thanks in advance.
The Series 2 Apple Watch does not have the wireless charging capabilities. That is only for the Series 3. And as far as the larger charging mat, formally known as the 'Airpower' by Apple, will not be available until 2018 with no specified release date.

Reactions: ziggo

hjernazian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
thank you for that information, very helpful. i guess i don't understand how it seemingly looks like the same technology (the series 2) in how it just magnetically snaps into its charging dock, but doesn't support it. also, as a side, is it true that there is a 10 dollar monthly service charge for the series3's phoneless capabilities?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
thank you for that information, very helpful. i guess i don't understand how it seemingly looks like the same technology (the series 2) in how it just magnetically snaps into its charging dock, but doesn't support it. also, as a side, is it true that there is a 10 dollar monthly service charge for the series3's phoneless capabilities?
The Series 2 does not have the built-in charging capabilities for wireless. There is a $10 fee for most carriers associated for the LTE service. Some carriers are offering a free 90 day promotional trial, but you have the option of canceling at anytime.