Wireless charging on iPhone X/8 possible with cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by derbladerunner, Sep 13, 2017.

1. derbladerunner, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

derbladerunner macrumors 6502

This question is very relevant since many people keep their iPhone in a case - even more so lately because of the camera bumps.

I have found little info on wireless charging and cases.

I also have no experience with the Qi standard (or Apple's upcoming improvements aka "AirPower").

There's an article here that gives some basic indications:

http://www.padandquill.com/blog/2017/08/31/can-wirelessly-charge-iphone-8-case/

It would be very cumbersome to take the iPhone out of its case every time for wireless charging. Beats the purpose of easier/faster charging...

Have any of you found early reviews testing wireless charging of the X or 8 wrapped in cases?

I guess the short review times at Apple Park (right after the keynote) didn't allow for testing with cases...

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This will likely be a concern For some cases. But I would say it depends on the thickness of the case that would possibly prohibit the inductive charging. Otherwise, if somebody was unsure, Apple OEM cases would likely be a safe bet.

3. LarryNyquil macrumors member

LarryNyquil

I had some pretty thick cases with my Nexus 6, and I never had an issue with charging through the case.

4. G.McGilli macrumors regular

Go to Amazon and look up wireless charging stands/pads. Find popular ones and read all the comments. While these are usually for Android phones currently - you will get an idea of which cases do work with no issue, and there seem to be a few that always cause problems. You might want to purchase, or avoid those brands of cases when the X comes out.

I'm new to wireless charging as of 1 week ago and all my cases have worked without issue on a cheaper $30 wireless charger stand - but I don't use 'rugged' cases.

5. derbladerunner thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

6. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

7. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

If you use some kind of metal case, not even sure if they make any, it probably won't work.

8. BigTomCallaghan macrumors regular

How about through a 1+1/8th inch desktop made of particleboard / wood? I would be pretty jazzed if I could just stick a Qi charging pad on the UNDERSIDE of my desk and be able to set the phone down above it (about 1+1/8" as previously mentioned) and have it charge up seemingly from nowhere.

Anyone have any experience with this scenario?

9. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I have no experience with wireless charging but it seems like we'd need to use some common sense. Like maybe thinner cases would work but thicker cases might not.

For instance, I currently have a plastic case BUT it's has a drawer for 3 credit cards on the back. I'm not expecting something like that to work.

10. solo118 macrumors 65816

Like others said, probably not a thick "Otterbox" type case. However normal thin cases should work fine. I plan on buying the Apple silicone case though, as I like my current one.

11. nasa25 macrumors 65816

if I have an iPhone battery case on an iPhone 8 will the charging power permeate through the case battery right into the iPhone 8 battery? LOL

12. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

It says on Apple's website, for the upcoming branded cases that they will allow charging through the case.

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Never had a phone with wireless charging since I’ve had only had iPhones for the last... since iPhones came out.

My kid asked me something yesterday I never had to think about though.

How practical is wireless charging anyway. With wired you can at least use the phone while it’s charging. Sure at night, work, etc.. it may be fine. For those that have or had devices that support wireless. Did you ever exclusively switch to that tech.

14. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I might construct a bed underneath my desk at work, install the wireless charger down there and lay on my side while I use the phone during charge

15. BigTomCallaghan macrumors regular

ALSO: Worth mention, Qi is supposed to, at the 5W power, have a range of about 1.5"... Hence my earlier question in this thread.

16. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

The Apple cases are compatible.