iPhone X wireless charging or not

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anitak1982, Apr 18, 2018.

1. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I have had my iphone x since November and sometimes wirelessly charge and other times plug it up. I find if I travel taking a charging cable is easier than the hockey puck thingy as the cable fits in my pocket or purse easier. I hope they don't do away with being able to plug it up

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Do not do a lot of traveling and find it very easy to drop on the wireless charger each night before bed. Like that I can pick it up and not have to unplug when I need to answer it or use it.

3. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I only have one wireless charger and keep it next to my recliner and plug it up at night next to my bed

4. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

As my battery in my 8+ pretty much lasts all day I only need to charge at night which is done using the wireless charger which is on my bedside table.
    If I do need to charge during the day I’ll use the cable as it charges a lot quicker than wireless so just plug in long enough to give a boost to get me through the rest of the day.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I highly doubt Apple would not support the lightning charging. Also, the lightning port still serves its purpose if you have to restore from backup from iTunes. Wireless charging is a secondary method, when lightning is still the primary method.

6. JackieInCo Suspended

I use it occasionally but most times I just plug the phone in and charge it that way since it is faster. I do the same with my Samsung phones.

7. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Since getting the X I don't think I've had a cable attached to even once. The battery lasts easily one day, even two if I moderate my usage. Every night before bed I just put the phone on the wireless charger and that's that.

Very convenient.

EDIT: Granted, I've yet to take a longer trip with the phone. That's the only scenario in which using a cable would make sense to me.

8. Medusa3 macrumors 6502

Medusa3

I have the wireless charger at work because I'm constantly back and forth at my desk. At night, my X gets the cables... mostly because I lose my phone somewhere in the bed and need to find it in the morning. That bright white cable helps

9. JackieInCo Suspended

Haha I sleep with my phone also.

10. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

I don't think I've charged my X via cable since I've had it. I have one wireless charger next to the bed and one next to my Mac downstairs. I usually use the one next to the bed every other night and the one downstairs only if it's been a particularly heavy phone day.

11. Caspavio macrumors regular

Caspavio

I think cable charging should be here to stay for awhile, at least until iPhone have much better battery life. Pretty sure nobody will want to carry a wireless charger around

12. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

This is my thoughts when I made the post. I also can't keep my phone on the wireless charger in my car but to plug it up works great

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It is your choice to do what works best for you. I never charge my X except at the end of the day before going to bed. Never had to charge before that but if you use a lot you will have to charge one way or another.

14. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

All that say you never charge till the end of the day must not use your phone as much as I do. I am either playing on facebook, taking video's and pictures of my grandson or our long haired dachshund (which is what I do the most), reading a book on my kindle app, messaging a friend, texting my family, looking up a recipe, browsing ebay, listening to music on pandora with my blue tooth headphones, facetiming or playing solitaire. My phone runs down and I have to put it on a charger. I am retired and play with this silly thing way to much.

15. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

16. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Technically it does

Up to 7.5w

17. deepakvrao macrumors 6502

I use a Samsung Note, and love the wireless fast charging. Never used wired except when travelling. Then again, it has a better battery than an iPhone. Having said that, I doubt that they will ever remove the charging port.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I agree you are on you phone a lot. It scares me as I near my retirement. I did dump Facebook a couple of years ago and it was life changing! Do not want to be that tied to my iPhone. Just want it to be there when I need it.

My iPad is used to do a lot of the thing you use your iPhone for so that will explain why I never need charging except at the end of the day.

19. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

The cord charges faster than my fast charger

20. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

With the ipad block?

21. deepakvrao macrumors 6502

Always, but wireless fast charging on my Note at least, is 2 hours 15 minutes, which though about an hour longer than wired, is still double as fast as regular wireless charging.

I think though that iPhone wireless fast charging is 7.5W and Samsung is 10 watts.

22. 960design macrumors 68030

I take my wireless charger on trips. I'm no electrical engineer, but I feel safer knowing that the power does not directly connect to my iPhoneX in countries with less than perfect power. Brownouts and spikes at worse would destroy the wireless charger and not my phone.

Am I completely daft to believe this to be true?

23. balderoine macrumors member

balderoine

I've heard lots of people saying wireless charging sacrifices the longevity of your battery so as a former wireless charging advocate I'm highly skeptical of using it full time. I also used the USB-C contraption to fast charge. I'm now skeptical of all this fast and wireless charging so I'm going back to using wired charging with the 5w wall adapter but using wireless charging sparingly or on occasions where I'm feeling sophisticated.

24. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

That's something I had never even considered, knowing next to nothing about the subject myself.

My reasoning for taking a cable on longer trips was just that when I'm on the road for longer stretches of time I tend to move around a lot, so the wired way of charging would be easier than carrying around the wireless charging mat. The wire+charger fits in my pocket, the wireless option not so much.

25. 960design macrumors 68030

I started using wireless charging on my iPhoneX on 3 Nov 2017. My battery is still at 100% ( according to beta battery health ).