Wireless charging through case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kjmff5, Sep 15, 2017.

1. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Now that Apple has caught up with the masses, there is Qi charging. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good wireless charger that I don't need to take the case off for. All these sites are coming out with lists, and some mention the case and some don't. I don't want to take it off and on, me being lazy with my first world problems.

thanks!

2. stabile007 macrumors regular

stabile007

It will be hard to say I think until the phone is in people's hands. Most cases were never designed with wireless charging in mind but if you have a common case for say an S8 like an otterbox and it works with the charger I would surmise it would likely work with the iPhone 8+ as well with the same charger. But again this is all guessing.

3. ATC macrumors 65816

FWIW, I contacted Spigen a little while back and this what I got:

"Thank you for contacting Spigen!

Our iPhone 8/8 Plus cases will work with a wireless charging pad and will not hinder the device’s wireless charging capabilities.

However for card-holding cases, you will need to remove the credit cards from the case first before placing the device on the charger."

4. matty.p macrumors 6502

They have said all the Apple cases will work with Qi charging as well.

5. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

6. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

Ok my S8 about every case I have tried works with the wireless charging. Like mentioned about the cases that can hold cards do in fact block the wireless charging so you would need to make sure the cards are removed.

7. kjmff5 thread starter macrumors regular

Then why do some chargers say to remove the case?

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Well then I wouldn't use that charger.

9. matty.p macrumors 6502

It does sort of matter, it can't have any metal and it can't be one of those card style cases. I think if the case is particularly thick it also will block it. Those super thick otter box style ones can be a problem.