Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hi

As the title says Wireless Confusion.

I have setup a PC laptop for sombody on wireless and it was straightforward enough

Plugged the wireless box into the filter on the phoneline, then connected the USB stick with small ariel into the laptop and away it went.

So nothing between wireless box and computer.

I have received a wireless box for my iMac, now my confusion.

It comes with a DSL cable to connect from the filter to the wireless box.

Then there is an ethernet cable that it says connects from one of the ethernet ports on the wireless box to your Macs Network port.

Now forgive my stupidity maybe, but how is that wireless ? What am I missing here :/ ?

cdlxxvi

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
Hi
Then there is an ethernet cable that it says connects from one of the ethernet ports on the wireless box to your Macs Network port.

Hi,

I guess that the case with your wireless router is that it supports *both* Ethernet and WLAN. You can usually initially connect via Ethernet to set up your wireless access point and then disconnect the Ethernet cable and connect via WLAN.
It will help of you give us the details (brand, model) of your wireless box.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hi,

I guess that the case with your wireless router is that it supports *both* Ethernet and WLAN. You can usually initially connect via Ethernet to set up your wireless access point and then disconnect the Ethernet cable and connect via WLAN.
It will help of you give us the details (brand, model) of your wireless box.

The box is one that comes with o2 broadband in the UK.

It is just called o2 Wireless box II, I have no idea who makes it, sorry. Thats why I left it as an open question as such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.