Wireless connection between computer and tv.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JajoPGH, Feb 14, 2010.

1. JajoPGH macrumors regular

I saw a commercial last night about a wireless connection between your laptop and your television. I think it was Toshiba that was advertising it, but could be wrong.

Are MBP's capable of doing that? Is it just a matter of software? I'm guessing you need Wi Fi capabilities on your TV too.

2. mattgoldey macrumors member

You need a 3rd party piece of hardware. Check out Page 2.

3. craigc1264 macrumors newbie

It was a Best Buy commercial actually. They were showing Toshiba's, Dell's, and others. They don't specify which laptop, or the need accessory to wirelessly do this.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

First and more importantly you need a TV that can accept WiFi inputs and process them. The thing is WiFi is not fast enough to transport Display information so you can send Movies only compressed which means that you generally need a System at the TV end that recieves the compressed videostream and creates a picture.
    You should need somekind of streaming Media client that can be accessed from the MBP or can access the MBP.
    If you want to directly output the Picture you need a cable. The Bandwitdh between DisplayPort for 1920x1080 24fps is significantly different form WiFi.
    For a native 1920x1080 24fps uncompressed needs 3000 to 4000 Mbps with Wifi you can divide that by 40 or more. Thus you need compression to transport the picture to the TV over WiFi.