Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jammer19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2016
Hi there,

You guys were so helpful a week or so back with a problem I had, I thought I'd give this one a go as its a bug bear to be honest.
The wireless connection on my Macbook Pro mid 2012 cuts out around 5 times every hour...sometimes more. In order to reconnect I have to turn the wireless connection off then on again and then it finds my ISP.
This doesn't happen on my PC laptop and I've been in contact with my service provider around 10 times now, trying to remedy this.
It doesn't seem to matter where I place my hub, it still happens.
Im now suspecting that its a problem with the wireless connector on my Macbook and not an external problem.

Could this be the case? And how would I find out?

Thanks all

Emma

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hi there,

You guys were so helpful a week or so back with a problem I had, I thought I'd give this one a go as its a bug bear to be honest.
The wireless connection on my Macbook Pro mid 2012 cuts out around 5 times every hour...sometimes more. In order to reconnect I have to turn the wireless connection off then on again and then it finds my ISP.
This doesn't happen on my PC laptop and I've been in contact with my service provider around 10 times now, trying to remedy this.
It doesn't seem to matter where I place my hub, it still happens.
Im now suspecting that its a problem with the wireless connector on my Macbook and not an external problem.

Could this be the case? And how would I find out?

Thanks all

Emma

1) You can try to reset the PRAM by holding CMD+ALT+P+R as soon as you turn your MacBook on. Continue to hold down those four keys at the same time until you hear the Apple 'boot chime' three times, then let go.

2) Ensure you're on the latest version of OS X.

3) Restart your Mac with reopen windows when logging back in disabled.

4) Ensure your router's wireless encryption is set to WPA2-PSK only -- not mixed, and not auto (it may be called WPA2-AES instead).

5) If the issue still persists, try change your router channel rather than having it automatically allocate.

Hope this helps, though please quote this if you're still having an issue.

Reactions: jerryk

jammer19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2016
Thanks keysofanxiety ill try this tonight.
Profmatt, no im using a hub4 from BT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.