Wireless connection.... help......

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by telemundo, Mar 19, 2008.

1. telemundo macrumors newbie

I have a first generation G5 tower, just installed airport extreme card. My roommate has a pc which the router is hooked up to his dsL. His computer is hooked up to Lan 1 of the hub on the router (d-link). I setup what was needed on his pc to configure the router. He has a laptop (pc) which picks up the connection no problem, no need to enter password cause none was set up to connect. The problem I am having on my g5 is..I can see the name of the network (router) under the list to choose from for connection but when I click connect its asking me for the password for WEP security...but none was setup.. has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

3. jeffmc macrumors 6502

is it possible there's two "linksys" networks near you? :)

4. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

The password to my router is on a sticker on the bottom of the router. Sometimes they already have one implemented

5. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

Don't have your SSID as the same name as your router make & model. Identify it as yours by using word association.

For example, I like pie, so that's what I call my wireless network at uni, "Pie". :D

Not having security on your network is also a silly move, but don't use WEP it's not really very secure.
    Use WPA encryption with a simple pass phrase and you'll be a lot more secure from unsuspecting people dropping onto your connection to steal your bandwidth.