wireless connection issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hatcher146, Apr 20, 2007.

1. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

im at my friends house and he just got a brand new macbook pro and we cant seem to connect to his linksys router. when we click on his network name and then type in the password it thinks about it...and then it says there was an error joining to the network. the airport is on. im sorry if this thread has been posted before. anyone know how to help out would be greatly appreciated! thanks alot

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

What kind of password authentication are you using, WEP or WPA?

3. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

There are many reasons why it could have this problem. Here's some stuff you can try:

1. Make sure that you are using the same security system. WEP, WPA, or WPA2. There's also the WPA personal, WPA2 personal, etc. Since, I dont have any more info about the hardware/software configurations you have, then.. I'll advise you to try all of them. For best results, I'll advise you to use WPA or WPA2 as your security system (change this on your wireless access point). After you choose WPA or WPA2, you'll notice that you might have 3 more options. using TKIP, AES, or TKIP+AES. If I remember correctly, TKIP+AES and just AES might cause problems with certain hardware, so I'll say, try using WPA2 and TKIP or WPA and TKIP first, then you might want to try TKIP+AES.

2. I'll recommend you to go to the linksys tech support webpage and download the latest firmware for your wireless access point. Some older firmware are buggy and would usually wont work with other brands..

I hope that made sense, since I'm at work and cant properly reply right now :(

4. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

WEP

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Try typing in a $ before the rest of your password.

6. marine610610 macrumors regular

I would try a couple of things. Open the network up and see if you can connect that way. If you can connect that way then make sure that the password you are typing is correct. People have them saved for so long that they forget exactly what it was from time to time. I have a MBP and it is connected using WPA. These guys can probably give more info as i am new to Macs. Also since his MBP is new i have to ask if he has updated it?

7. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

wow! it actually worked! i cant believe that. thanks alot. can i ask why that would make a difference? what does the $ symbol do

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Sometimes there is an issue with telling the password you've typed to convert to HEX. In effect, the $ specifies that the following text should be converted.

If you can, I'd recommend changing the encryption to WPA, as it's generally more secure and user-friendly.

9. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

thats a good idea! thanks again!:D