Wireless connection issues on college network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by timnosenzo, Dec 4, 2009.

1. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

The college I attend has a wireless network available to students. You don't need a key or anything to join the network, but once you're connected, you need to open a browser that automatically directs you to a website where once you log in, you are granted internet access. Similar to what you get a Starbucks, hotels, airports, etc.

This used to work fine, but recently I have had nothing but trouble with it. I can connect to the network fine, but when I open the browser I cannot get to the page where I need to log in--nothing ever loads and the browser eventually times out. I have tried resetting Safari, using Firefox, turned off pop-up blockers, renewed my DHCP lease, and nothing seems to do anything.

I should add that I can complete this process with no issues on my iPhone. :rolleyes:

Also, I get the same result with 2 different MBP's. Both run Snow Leopard.

Any thoughts on what could cause this? Anyone having similar issues? It's incredibly frustrating, any help would be *greatly* appreciated!!

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

Don't know if it is still the case, but Cisco Systems networks popular in schools don't play nice with Snow Leopard.

3. timnosenzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Ouch, that's unfortunate...

4. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Cisco play nice with anything?

Does the Cisco system play nice with anything? My sister's school uses the Cisco stuff and apparently it doesn't play nice with Windows 7 either. At least thats what the IT people told her. So since she used her free upgrade to 7, she can no longer get on the network at all (wired or wireless) and her computer is rendered basically useless while on campus, on which she lives as well.