Wireless Connection - PLEASE HELP.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rhinothesaurus, Jul 5, 2007.

1. rhinothesaurus macrumors newbie

I have had my iMac for about a year. I am sharing a wireless connection (Bell Sympatico) with 2 other PCs in my house.
    The router is with the oldest PC, downstairs while the new PC is in the room beside me.

I can get a connection however both upstairs and downstairs the connection drops and picks up again alot, making it very frustrating to get anything done. My internet has been like this since I got my mac, and I've been trying to tolerate it. Sometimes the connection will be okay for hours, sometimes minutes. Regardless, when there is a connection it is very weak, internet is slow... streaming videos, loading pages, etc.
    I have exhausted options with Bell as they don't seem to know whats going on.

The router we have is the one that came from Bell, and I am considering buying a better router (farther range). I am wondering if it is a waste of my time or not.
    And do I need anything else to help my mac connect properly? I need to know if this has to do with my mac or if its something with the router or Bell.

Sorry if these are very dumb questions...

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are you experiencing this on both the PC(s) and Mac?

3. rhinothesaurus thread starter macrumors newbie

yes both computers, however its more frequent on the mac

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

id suggest a new router... thats about it. could you try moving the router to your computer and see if it works there?? or at least closer

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

How is the PC downstairs connected to the router? Wireless or Wired?

Basically, if the router has a built-in switch, are the problems present when you connect through that as well?