Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I recently got my MBP - my Powerbook was replaced - and I'm having a problem. When I'm connected wirelessly, my wife's connection on her Dell laptop drops connection. This didn't happen with my Powerbook and it doesn't happen when I'm using my Dell XPS 1210.

I'm not sure what could be causing this problem, but it really frustrates her which means it impacts me.

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
I recently got my MBP - my Powerbook was replaced - and I'm having a problem. When I'm connected wirelessly, my wife's connection on her Dell laptop drops connection. This didn't happen with my Powerbook and it doesn't happen when I'm using my Dell XPS 1210.

I'm not sure what could be causing this problem, but it really frustrates her which means it impacts me.

What powerbook did you have for Apple to replace it with a MBP ?

I had my 12 inch PB 1.33 superdrive replaced after allmost 3 years wth a MB 2.16/120/superdrive........maybe i should have held out for a MBP...

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Well according to the FCC every electronic device is susceptible to other electronic interference. Perhaps the newer airport card is over powering the the signal of the card in the dell.

Other than that, check your router admin settings and make sure for whatever reason more than one computer can connect wirelessly at a time (i know you used too, but sometimes settings get screwed with power surges or spikes).
You could also try broadcasting over a different channel and see if that helps.
I´m out of ideas at the moment, other than if none of that fixes it then you should surf wired while she´s around:eek: - best of luck.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I was surfing today on my iMac when, suddenly, the signal dropped. I could no longer connect. I tried restarting several times to no avail. My MBP and my wife's MacBook had no trouble connecting.

I changed channels on the router and it now works fine. I narrowed it down to interference of some sort but I am still unsure of why it was just my iMac that could not connect.

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
I had a 15" 1.67Ghz Powerbook.

Uh, does anyone know what could be causing my problem?

I had a spate of this happening a few weeks ago....i narrowed it down to either a nearby WiFi network or the microwave oven in the apartment below.....and since the woman in the apartment went, taking her microwave with her i reckon it was that....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.