Wireless Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dave Braine, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I'm having continuous problems with my Intel Mini not connecting to my Netgear DG834G router. Occasionally it does, but more often than not it doesn't, when booting up, or waking from sleep(despite having been connected before sleeping).

Going into the Airport Menulet, the Netgear often doesn't show. When it does, clicking on it, Airport hunts for the router but usually fails to find it.

Opening Network Preferences, Airport shows as on but not connected to the internet. The Netgear can, or cannot, show under the Network Name tab. If it does show, selecting it tells me that Airport does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet. Trying to connect then results in a timeout message. The Netgear can then disappear from the list.

Opening the Diagnostics window and selecting Netgear(when it appears), I get to the password stage, and it tells me that the password is wrong(I even checked it Keychain to make sure that it wasn't)! Now and then(like just now as I've been working through this) it will connect.

When it does connect, it will stay connected until it sleeps or is turned off.

I've tried different channels, setting up Airport for the router from scratch, trashing the Airport and the Network Identification plists, plus a full Onyx hit, but the problem persists.

And this all happens with the MacBook 3 feet away connecting immediately from power on or waking.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

An Airport update and/or update to 10.6.4 seems to have fixed the problem. Hopefully.

3. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine