wireless connection using Linksys

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seablue, Oct 31, 2007.

1. seablue macrumors regular

Just got hooked up via satellite connection. It's not a true satellite connection but I'll call it that for simplicity. My real question is.... I'm using a Linksys router for my laptop and how do I know I'm secure?
    I followed instructions step by step off a site for macs and routers. But i would like to be sure. Instructions seemed too easy and not enough steps -LOL.

2. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'm ok as best as I can tell. I have it set up with a WEP password. I configured the laptop but didn't do anything with the desktop. I went over to the desktop and lo and behold, I had to enter the password that I had picked with the laptop. So, I believe I'm good.
    I don't know how that works but it seems it did :)
    I'm out in the country with no close neighbors so I don't know who would try to use my connection anyway.

3. macleod199 macrumors 6502

WEP is incredibly easy to break, FYI, to the point where they it's against the "802.11n" to let you enable it. You want WPA or WPA2 instead. Your router and/or laptop may require a firmware/drive update to enable it, depending on how old it is.

4. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

UGH! ok.... went in and found the WPA tab and got that done. So, that should do it now? I didn't need any firmware update. If I did need one, it wouldn't have accepted the password correct?