Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarahbeara988, Mar 2, 2011.

1. sarahbeara988 macrumors newbie

So, I bought a brand new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, and from the beginning I have had a lot of trouble keeping it connected to my wireless. It will be trying to load the page and eventually say it can't find the server. The network diagnostics usually tells me the server has failed, the internet has failed, and the ISP has failed. I have to turn off the wireless port and then back on and even if it starts working again, the same thing starts again minutes later anyway. I would like to blame it on the wireless itself, but my old and dying Dell never had any trouble with the connection and none of my roommates have trouble either. If it is the wireless, why would every other laptop work fine with it and not mine? Help!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's probably not the ISP, the Internet, or the server failing.

What kind of router do you have?

3. sarahbeara988 thread starter macrumors newbie

The brand is called "Trendnet." I don't know much about it.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I recently bought an MBP13" refurb and had similar disconnect issues with the wireless. I had experienced no such problem with either my macbook air or my macbook. Somewhere, possibly on this forum, I read a post suggesting that repairing disk permissions might resolve problem. I had run a bunch of software updates after reinstalling Snow Leopard on the refurb machine, and in fact had not run the permissions repair that I usually do after updates. So I did that, not expecting a lot, but during the repair I noticed that it was correcting a lot of permissions on airport-related items. Et voila, since then, no problems. Good luck!

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

worst routers out their.

buy a linksys router, or airport extreme...but personally id go for linksys as they are owned by cisco (one of the major companies when it comes to security related to internet/tech/wifi)

6. sarahbeara988 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried updates and the permissions repair but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I know that the router isn't the greatest, but it's hard to believe that my laptop is the only one that won't stay connected to it. Would it have something to do with the wireless card?

I will try using wireless someplace else and see what happens. I will gladly take ideas and suggestions in the meantime though!

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I had this timeout type issue with AT&T, and I had to change my DNS settings for it to go away. Google openDNS + Mac and see if using these settings changes things.

8. bcurtiss433 macrumors member

I had this same issue, it was frustrating on the Brand New MBP I bought on the refresh date. I finally took the machine back since I could not see any reason to keep spending more money on routers to get it to work.

I was bummed to return it as I really wanted to switch to Mac.