Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigcletus123, Oct 3, 2009.

1. bigcletus123 macrumors member

bigcletus123

I'm a recent Mac "arrival" from Win-doze. I'm running an iMac wireless to a Time Capsule. On the top-right of the 24 in display there's the wireless indicator...however I would like something to tell me the speed (like Windoze did) between my desktop and the router. Is there a setting or freebie that will do this ??

Thanks

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hold down the Option key and click on the wireless icon. The "Transmit Rate" is the current maximum potential speed in Mb/s.

To see the actual transfer rate while transferring data, open Activity Monitor and click on the Network tab.

3. bigcletus123 thread starter macrumors member

bigcletus123

Perfect!!!

Thanks..thats EXACTLY what I wanted.

Jack

4. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

For more information, use 'Network Utility'... type it in spotlight. or find it in the utilities folder in applications. This shows the link rate (for some reason a different number then the option click method)

Attached Files:

5. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Anyone have issues with not being able to achieve full N wireless speeds? I have a Time Capsule and the only wireless device accessing it is my MBP and I can never get more then 144Mb/s connection speed. I have tried different channels and different ghz settings with no luck.

6. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

I think we may only be getting 144 Mbits/s due to it only being draft version of N. And the typical throughput for N is ≈ 110-130 Mbits/s... the maximum of 300 Mbits/s is only theoretical (read somewhere that with newer revisions it's 600). So 144 is pretty good =]

Quote from Wikipedia:
    Code:
    The Baseline certification covers both 20 MHz and 40 MHz wide channels, and up to two spatial streams, for maximum throughputs of 144.4 Mbit/s for 20 MHz and 300 Mbit/s for 40 MHz (with Short Guard interval).

7. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Makes some since, but a friend of mine with the same set up is getting the full 300gb/s.

8. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

What router has he got? How old is it and what revision of 802.11-N does it use? How far is he from it etc... Also, what frequency is he using? 2.4GHz or 5GHz and 20 or 40MHz wide channel?

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

There's no way anyone ever gets 300[M]b/s. The reported "transmit rate" may be 300Mb/s on a 5GHz wireless N network, but the real speeds are much lower.

I get real transfer speeds of 110Mb/s when three feet from my router using the 5GHz band, but this falls to < 1Mb/s when in the kitchen, about 50 feet from the router (through three walls).

I'm instead using the 2.4GHz band, where I get a steady 80Mb/s (peaking at 90Mb/s) three feet from the router and 60Mb/s in the kitchen.

I'm actually doing as well or better than the routers benchmarked at www.smallnetbuilder.com - they seem to peak at 80Mb/s.

10. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

Mines pretty much always 144 Mbits/s even if I go outside =]