Wireless connectivity issues with my Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Danij3boys, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Danij3boys macrumors newbie

I recently had to send in my Macbook to Apple for a replacement hard drive. After I got it back, it was already at 10.4.10. I have not yet upgraded to 10.4.11 (the software update version of this in November killed the already-failing hard drive). My original install disks are from March (prior to 10.4.10).

Problem: within the last 7-10 days, I cannot stay connected to my wireless router but I CAN stay connected to my neighbor's unprotected network. I have a Linksys WRT54G router with a WEP 64-bit password. I can actually connect with my Macbook to my router but the connection will stop working after about 7-9 minutes. Airport status drops a bar and it says I'm connected but nothing works. And, in fact, the router itself is then frozen. I have to unplug the modem, and plug it back in. Then, I'm good for another 7-9 minutes! Needless to say, I'm using my neighbor's network 99% of the time. In fact, the connection will drop from my neighbor's network as well but I just select his network again and I'm back up and running.

I have a desktop Dell PC (6 years old with XP), PS3, Wii and Tivo hooked up wirelessly. Not one of them makes the router freeze; my ex-h is here on his Dell laptop connecting just fine. We could use all of them at the same time and the router will not mess up. But, add in the Macbook and that's it. Time to reset the router yet again.

The problems started after I updated via Software Update: the Airport Extreme Update 2007-004. Is there a known issue with this particular Airport update? How do I go back or get rid of that update? Is that possible?

Should I just bite the bullet and do yet another erase and install of my OS with the install disks (I have done that more times than I can count due to hard drive issues, which were resolved when Apple replaced the hard drive)?

What do I do? I'm a Mac newbie (yes, a switcher!) and the transition has been sorely lacking. I love my Macbook and am just SO sad that I can't rely on it for my main computing! :(

I've read lots of tips for troubleshooting this (here on these forums and elsewhere): I've changed MANY settings on the router. I've tried changing the router to unprotected. I've disabled IPv6. Still no luck; connection drops after 7 minutes. HELP!

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

10.4.10 was notorious for this problem, I'd suggest upgrading either to 10.4.11 (even though you had problems in the past), wiping the HDD and starting a fresh with your install disk, or upgrading to 10.5. I'd lean towards upgrading to 10.5 as it not only fixed the wireless issue but also offers up some goodies that you don't get with 10.4, but that's my opinion. But I'm afraid that 10.4.10 is the reason that you are having the dropping wifi problem and a quick search on this forum and the official Apple forum will show you that you aren't alone.

Another option (and what I did 95% of the time) in order to get a solid connection was to wire it up most of the time and only use the wifi when I absolutely had to, not ideal I know but it is a solution.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Upgrade to 10.4.11, and things will be fine. Keep in mind that WPA is better than WEP for wireless security.

4. Danij3boys thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I guess I'll go ahead and upgrade to 10.4.11. BUT, should I use the combo update online or the individual update that is available in my Software Update? I've read the combo is a much safer option.

Yes, I know I need to switch to WPA but our PS3 is finally humming along beautifully on this router and the PS3 is truly a nightmare to set up so I'm very hesitant to change it at this point. Especially with my boys getting games tomorrow for Christmas! And, you can only imagine how grumpy 12 and 14 yo boys would get if their PS3 suddenly lost its online connectivity! :)