Wireless cut off after 3metres!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by coconut2674, Apr 7, 2009.

1. coconut2674 macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I have a netgear dg834g wireless router, and a MacBook running os x 10.5.6.
    Now when I'm in the living room next to the router, the signal is nice and strong, no problems. But when I move to the kitchen and out of sight of the router, about 2/3metres- it cuts out!

This also hapena when I go up to my room, when I stand just above where the router is I get a weak signal, but otherwise - none. My xp netbook connects ok, is this a mac problem? Or does anyone know if the problem is netgear?

Pulling my hair out with it at this stage!

2. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

Make sure the antenna is screwed properly to the router. Otherwise make sure you have the latest Apple updates from Software Update. If the problem persists try connecting to a friend's router and if the same happens, go to an Apple Store to get your MB checked out.

3. Matek macrumors 6502a

If the PC laptop works well, it's almost definitely the Mac's fault. Lake darrenscerri said, try a friend's router just to be sure and then take the laptop to an apple store for repair.

4. iBecks macrumors 6502

I've used the same router and there doesn't seem to be any compatiability issues between them.

It's almost definitely a MacBook problem, take it to your local Apple store to have it looked at.

5. coconut2674 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, tried it on another friends routers, same problem! I live in Ireland, there's no 'official' mac shop here, and of world is so far. I think it might be 10.5.6, so I'm gonna go back to 10.5, it doesn't hurt to try I think?

If that doesn't work, I'm gonna race to a repair centre...

Thanks for your suggestions!

6. s0ggynach0s macrumors newbie

i have the same problem. also have a macbook pro and when im downstairs in my basement next to my router i get full bars in airport, but when i go upstairs its weak than it cuts out. my brother has an older macbook and his works fine upstairs. i'll try a software update i guess?