Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandoneus

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
very complex issue

Several things to consider:

If a poll were taken, I would expect the users experiencing higher dropout rates would find they are in an environment with a lot of nearby activity on the same radio frequencies that WiFi is using. It is conceivable to momentarily run out of WiFi radio channels in a densely covered area. Of course, things will get back to normal soon enough but it would cause something like what is being described here.

WiFi equipment makers don't do everything exactly the same way. There are cases where pro WiFi equipment does not play well together, so the issue described in this thread is no surprise. However, it isn't the end of the world either.

The first thing I would tell everyone is to completely turn off or disable IPV6.

Next, Please tell me everyone has a unique SSID. Even if you don't see any other access points make sure you have given yours something nobody else would have. Never ever use the default name.

Try moving as close to your WiFi access point as you can and see if the situation improves. If it does, it may be an interference issue which can be quite complex and difficult to resolve.

If bluetooth seems to have any effect on your WiFi I would suspect an interference issue because they use the same radio frequencies.

You might try changing the channel selection on your WiFi access point, and moving it to a higher physical location, or moving the antennas higher. Also, turn on WPA and MAC address filtering, and turn off SSID broadcast.

It may be that you have to do everything above to prevent drop outs completely.

There is a VERY slim chance you may live in a spot where WiFi is completely saturated and there just isn't room for another. In that case be glad you have much of a connection at all. Worst case would be that there is pro WiFi equipment close by that will eventually make it impossible for your consumer WiFi to operate at all.

If for some reason WiFi just never seems to work at your location no matter who's equipment is used, try a different wireless networking technology that uses a different radio band. "A" band has never been as popular and is a little more expensive, but it works very very well. I don't know of any "mesh" wireless equipment for OS X, but they may exist.

I hope this helps resolve at least some of these issues. Best of luck!

-Brandoneus

theinjuryexpert

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
But ...

Thanks for that, but you've missed one of the key points, Brandoneus --

This ONLY happens on my MBA. MacBook across the room (also Intel, also Leopard) doesn't do this. My Tivos, all on home network, don't drop, ever. It's actually getting worse for me, so I'm headed to the Mac Genius once I'm back in town for a couple days.

brandoneus

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
helping some

I am sorry you continue to have issues and hope they are quickly resolved.

-Brandoneus

sookainian

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
Singapore
Thanks for that, but you've missed one of the key points, Brandoneus --

This ONLY happens on my MBA. MacBook across the room (also Intel, also Leopard) doesn't do this. My Tivos, all on home network, don't drop, ever. It's actually getting worse for me, so I'm headed to the Mac Genius once I'm back in town for a couple days.

What router are you using ?

theinjuryexpert

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Not Router

I have a Belkin N1 Vision at home, but the same problem occurs on the road *and* none of the other devices in the house lose their connections, so this is definitely an MBA problem. I've been keeping track the last three days and the longest that I've held a connection is 20 minutes. I changed the router's wireless channel to make sure that wasn't the issue (it's not). I'm finally giving up and heading to the Apple Store today. I'll keep you informed.

theinjuryexpert

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Some success

Great experience with the Mac Genius has cleared up the Wireless issue but now I have something new going on ...

To summarize, the MBA appears to be very, very succeptible to interference. If you're seeing several overlapping areas of wi-fi in your area, change to channels 9 or 11, or if those are taken, whatever is most free. (Not sure why 9 and 11, but seems to work.) A switch to 11 has eliminated the problem for almost five hours. My previous long "streak" was 20 minutes.

Downside is that my chip is running very hot (170 F v prev 150 F) under normal use and battery life is way down. (70% = 1:10). Not sure if the two are related.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
I seemed to have found some sort of stable setting here.

If you go into your router's preferences ( in my case i have a DIR-655 ) and turn off any QoS services, the connection seems solid afterwards, even waking from sleep.

Note that some routers don't even have wireless QoS services. In that case they may be permanently on or just unchangeable.

(stands for quality of service, basically gives priority and 'shapes' traffic to accommodate wireless clients, in this case, the MBA. Problem with this is that it actually changes the data flow from the cable/dsl modem in and out of the router... some wireless cards don't like that)
I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, but I was having similar issues as people in this thread with wireless cutting out after 10.5.2 and EFI Firmware Update 1.0 and so far, turning off QoS on my router seems to have fixed things. I'll post back with updates to see how long this lasts! Thanks neocitron!

Edit: Unfortunately, I don't think the QoS was the issue, as the problem crept up again a little while after. I have taken Brandoneus' advice and changed my channel to 11 (even though I am not in a heavy wireless zone) and also disabled IPV6. So far, so good!

aussieinrome

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
Rome, Italy.
Wifi dropout

My MBA is the only laptop/umpc that has not had a problem with the Wifi dropping out (in my office, which has the worst Wifi in the world - until I got my MBA that is). My Vaio TR did, my Vaio UX did, my Toshiba did, and my Wife's Vaio all had problems with dropping out...

It's funny, it bugs the guys I work with that I have no Wifi problems.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
Dose anyone know if the airport is slower on the MBA than the MBP? They both run the same wireless cards but my MBA seems slower loading web pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.