Wireless Digital Pen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Attip, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Attip macrumors newbie

Hi MacRumors,

I just started College, and during lectures I tend to take loads of notes. For this, I use either my MacBook Pro or a noteblock and a pen. My problem is, often it's easier for me to take handwritten notes, because I have to draw loads of graphs and stuff like that, but whenever I take notes on paper, I rarely ever look at them again. So I was thinking, there must be a way to get what I write and draw on paper into my MacBook. I tried researching a little, but as I have no idea what products are available, I thought I'd ask here for help.

What I need, I think, is something called a Digital Pen, that transfers everything I write and draw onto my computer. I will be using it mostly for drawing, as I'll be writing text down on my computer instead of writing it on paper. If anyone on this board could tell me what I should get, or point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

-Attip

2. drambuie macrumors 6502a

For your usage, the best thing woud be to get a scanner. You can make the drawings on paper, then later scan them and merge them with the written notes.

There are paper based notepads, such as the AceCad that can record written notes digitally then later transfer into a computer, but they all seem to be Windows based only.

You could get a tablet, such as a Wacom which would work well, but then you're dealing with juggling a USB connection. Wacom does have have a bluetooth tablet, but it's about $400.

3. ninn macrumors member

For meetings and such, I use a Livescribe echo pen. It's not wireless though. You have to write on their "dot" paper and then plug the pen into your mac and it imports. I use the transcription software and stuff it all in evernote so I can view them anywhere.

4. Attip thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem with the scanner is, I'm too lazy to get it done once I get home from school. The smart thing with the pen would be that it'd be instant available on my computer.

And the Wacom tablets are nice, but they're not very handy to carry around campus all the time, so I'm hoping to find a pen that fits my needs :)

I found this pen, that I'm thinking about buying:
    http://www.irislink.com/c2-1626-189/IRISnotes-------The-Digital-Pen-that-types-what-you-write-.aspx

Anyone have anything to say about that?

And how's the livescribe Echo pen? Is it worth it having to take notes on "their" paper? Or does it get annoying? And is the audio feature worth anything?

Thanks

5. Urbanmeister macrumors newbie

Digital pen

Greetings, Atip,

Ninn has made some good points regarding the Livescribe Echo with which I would agree. I've been using the 4gb Livescribe Pulse, the earlier model and find it extremely useful (I take notes at meetings and find the digital voice recorder really helpful). There have been a number of instances where one of the participants asked me to confirm what they had said - so I sent them the recording of the meeting (ensure you have everyone's agreement to do this by the way).

Ninn also mentioned the paper. A well made point. I print off my own paper which saves a significant amount of money (300 dpi is the only requirement). So, no, it doesn't get 'pretty annoying' at all. As for the refills, they are pretty cheap as well.

As for the Irislink - I did some research on that and decided against it. It didn't have the digital recorder and some of the reviews were less than complimentary.

In sum, it's about your own needs and expectations. No one but you can make the decision, so do your own research. Sometimes you get it right, sometimes not, I talk from personal experience here. :mad: Let's just say, if I lose my Pulse pen, I'll be buying the Echo 8gb. That says it all really doesn't it? Hope this helps.

6. terence1957 macrumors newbie

I'm at the opposite end so to speak - giving the lecture.

I would love to have a wireless digital pen to "write" and illustrate over my power point slides while delivering the lecture. Wireless because I like to be mobile and back from the screen a lot, sometimes mingling with the audience. So an untethered-wireless pen used on say a stiff clipboard would be ideal. Anything like this out there yet?

Terence

7. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

8. terence1957 macrumors newbie

Thanks - I'll look into that. I'm not part of the iPad world, so it's more than is essential. I would use this within Powerpoint, which has a pen tool for highlighting slides during presentations.