Wireless disconnecting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pofak, Dec 14, 2010.

1. pofak macrumors newbie

I have 1.5 year old macbook pro with 10.6.4 OS. The AirPort disconnects several times in an hour and connects again automatically in around a miutes. This problem started happening a few days ago. When the macbook is disconnected, iPad that I have on the wireless can connect to internet.

Any idea?

2. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

No ideas... other then it is do to the last update.

You are not alone....

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

A couple of things to check are your DNS settings, if you haven't changed them they're probably the ones your ISP uses. These can be a major pia as explained in this MacWorld article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/146064/2010/02/troubleshootdns.html?t=234

You can easily change them by following these steps:

Try doing this:

1. System preferences
    2. Network
    3. Click Advanced
    4. Click DNS tab
    5. Click + sign
    6. Add 208.67.222.222
    7. Click + sign
    8. Add 208.67.220.220
    9. Click OK.
    10. Exit System Preferences

If that doesn't do it, it could be dropping connection because you may be competing for a wi-fi signal. I live in Silicon Valley, within range I have no less than 20 wi-fi networks. Most people never change the default channels which are usually 5 & 6. There are a total of 11 channels available on most wi-fi networks. You can tell who is using what channel by downloading iStumbler (Google it) this will scan your vicinity and locate networks within range and tell you what channel they're on. From there it's a simple matter of changing channels to one not being used. If you use an Apple router you can launch Airport Utility and changing a channel is a snap. If you use any other type of router you will need to refer to your owners manual for instructions.

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Might be worth setting a static ip address for each device on your network too in case you are having ip address conflicts between your Mac and iPad.
    You can usually do this through your routers setup page.

5. pofak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

1- I don't think the problem is DNS. The connection netween the mac and router is dropped. The suggestion of changing the DNS was a good one anyway and I changed it. Thanks.

2- I can only see a 4 very weak wi-fi signal in our single family house neighborhood.

3- I set my mac IP to a static one. I'll try to do the same for my other 2 devices too.

4- I just installed 10.6.5. Let's hope that heps too. No disconnect yet but it's too soon to be very hopeful.

Thanks again.