Wireless drops every 10, 20, or 30 minutes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LTX, Oct 27, 2009.

1. LTX macrumors regular

Dec 25, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I have a Macbook Pro 13" running 10.6 that I purchased at the beginning of September. For a few weeks now, I have been getting random wifi disconnects.

The strange thing is that they only occur when the minute is :00, :10, :20, :30, :40, or :50. More often every 10 minutes, less often every 60 minutes. I am using a Linksys WRT54GL router with HyperWRT + Thibor firmware. This problem did not occur when I first got the Mac.

Yesterday I decided to format and reinstall Snow Leopard to try to resolve some issues I was having. I installed, then used Migration Utility to restore my files and settings from a Time Machine backup. I am still getting wireless drops. I tried deleting AirPort configuration plists as described in county's post here but to no avail.

When I check my router config after a disconnect (I usually reconnect within 15 seconds, but sometimes I have to turn AirPort back on), the DHCP lease remaining time is 24 hours from the disconnect time.

Additionally, after deleting the plists did not work, I looked at them and discovered the following:

That time minus 7 hours is the exact time of my last disconnect. That entry is in the dict KnownNetworks, under my network SSID.

It may be a DHCP problem. I will try using a static IP, but having a static IP means I'll have to change my network settings when I go to school and when I come home.

This occurs in both 10.6 and 10.6.1 with my current settings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: still occurs with DHCP with Manual Address and static IP.
  2. Sgaar macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2009
    Look at the channel the router is using. I'll bet that there is another network close by that uses the same channel. Channel 6 is default for all (?) routers when you buy them and and noobs don't know that they might need to change it.
  3. Tudeski macrumors member

Jul 17, 2008
    I had the same issue with a similar router on my mbp 13. I changed the channel to "11", and updated the routers firmware.

I have yet to have it disconnect. :)