Wireless earphones and skipping

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ezra923, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Ezra923 macrumors regular

Do all wireless earphones skip? Or are they consistent like wired ones? I never went wireless because for years i swore by Shure and I don't see any wireless options for them. I recently got a free pair of beats wireless crap when i bought my ipad pro and i started using them once my shures broke. They're ok and i love the no wire hassle but they skip all the time. Trying to decide wether to go back to wired or try quality wireless ones if they don't skip lol

2. TonkotsuRamen macrumors member

TonkotsuRamen

Wireless headphones will skip from time to time. This is because things can interfere with the broadcast of signals between your phone and the headphone. Your body can come in between the signal and cause the skipping.

Most wireless headphones won't skip and I suspect that the Beats one wouldn't skip unless it is defective or something. I mainly use wireless headphones as I freakin hate wires and I've had a few that would skip but they were the lower end kinds.

I'm currently using

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6PGZ70/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No skipping and has survived 3 trips in the washer. The range on this is pretty insane, over 50 ft but I think the right headphone is starting to go out and there is static but I've had these for over 6 months and it has been through hell.

3. Ezra923 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Bose QC35 and soundsport wireless have solid no skip connections including walking around manhattan and during long runs.

5. mickeydean macrumors 6502

They will. Bose skip too. When I walk more than 6-8 metres from the device (iphone or mac) then skips occur. The bose connect to two devices at once and occasionally it skips like a mow****a when utilising this (playing from only one device).

It isn't a major problem though for me if OP hates wires and can stand a few skips ever dozen or so uses then wireless will be fine. QC35 only uses SBC connection on Macbook though, doesn't use AAC so the sound quality is rather poor.

6. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Well of course, traditional Bluetooth has the 30 foot wall in theory if completely unobstructed. Seems an advantage of the W1 is great range. I live in Manhattan so my phone is always in my pocket, so the distance from headphones doesn't come into play.

As for SBC codec, force the Mac to use AAC, both Bose pairs support it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/810527/bose-qc35-wireless-noise-cancelling-headphones/165

7. mickeydean macrumors 6502

All skip from time to time. I wouldn't go wireless if you don't want any skips. Bose skip a fair bit. I have some Jlabs for running and they skip a lot less but still happens.

8. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Skipping is unavoidable, pretty much. I have used a few different wireless headphones for the last five years and so far the Solo 3 hasn't skipped once. Sure, its only been playing for a week compared with my old nokia headphones thats been used daily for 4 years. It has skipped a couple of times and usually starts with a bunch of skipping the first few seconds as if it's still negotiating connection and playing music when I put them on.

I don't think we will get wireless devices that will never skip. It could buffer audio but that would suck for any form of sync with video.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

Don't listen to the people here who say they will all skip as that is just not true. Obviously they have had bad experiences but most people will tell you that wireless headphones work just fine. You just have to make sure they are a quality reputable product and not cheap rubbish. I've had several different brands including AKG, Sony and now Senheiser and none of them have skipped ever.

10. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I bought a pair of Jaybird Freedom a few years back and this exactly is why I don't use them. I can't use them and have my phone in my pocket without them skipping. Indoors they are awesome, outside they are garbage.

Maybe the tech has advanced in the past few years, and I'll find out when I get a pair of Airpods. God bless that return policy.

11. Ezra923 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I'll give the bose ones a try for now. I kinda prefer in ear but all earphones fall out of my ear or arent snug enough. Which is why i chose Shure because they go around the ear and are very snug because of the foam tips so when i run they never fall out.

I also do long runs here in Manhattan, how are on the ear headphones for running.
    Ill check em out tomorrow I believe there is a Bose store a couple blocks from my house on spring street or something

12. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

If running is your main priority, give the soundsport wireless a try. They had some issues with waterproofing so ignore those reviews because they paused manufacturing and fixed the defect at the end of August. The new ones I have are rock solid despite heavy workout sweating. And they don't quite go into your ear which is good for running and have wingtips which are super soft and keep them in place. The battery is good for 6-7 hours at a time (so maybe 2-3 recharges a week at most), sound is great, wireless is stable, they can pair with two devices at a time, and the mic is solid for calls and Siri.

The QC35 over ear are not great for workouts. And the noise canceling would make me nervous running around. Perfect for working or studying out and about or a plane ride.

13. mickeydean macrumors 6502

Hasn't changed much. All these "geniuses" who give their personal experience as definitive proof (and we wonder why Trump is so close to the presidency).

Consider mechanism. If you turn on the microwave or if the WiFi router is being used at 2.4Ghz (802.11 b,g) between your mac and the headphones, say walking around the house you will notice considerable interference. Walls, depending on the material and thickness of your walls, could have a considerable effect.

It's like early Wi-Fi, a few people will have many problems but most will find it works so-so and a few will find it works well.

As for exercise bluetooth headphones, given the form factor the antenna would be more limited than over-ear headphones. The Jlab epic 2 are good value for the price, I tried the Bose, Jaybirds, and etc but price/battery/build-quality/etc Jlabs were my pick without trying the Sony offerings.

Over-ears like the Stance S1+, MDR-1000X, P7, and etc I'd be keen to try. The sound of the QC35s is quite poor and bluetooth range worse than the Jlab Epic 2 or the Beats Solo 2 wireless (sold these head clamps with bassy but poor sound) when I walk around the house using the mac as a source. Bose to me sound like beats without the bass and the main strength of Beats is the bass...