Wireless Electricity!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MoleSkine, Sep 2, 2009.

1. MoleSkine macrumors member

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The idea has been kicked around for more than 100 years...

Ever hear of Nikola Tesla?

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Didn't he play David Bowie in some film?

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

+1

this idea is really old. there is actually some skeptics / fanatics that suspect tesla of actually succeeding in this to some degree sending a bolt of electricity 200 miles away or something like that.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Tesla was not the only example. Old crystal set radios used the radio waves themselves as their only source of power. There was no battery. They were in common use in the early 20th century before vacuum tube technology replaced them.

The radio set used a large antenna and another wire that went to a good ground. The electrical different between the antenna and the ground was enough to power a set of headphones. You can still make one of these radios for about $2 and it will work if you have an AM broadcast station nearby. If you know a kid looking for a science fair project using a radio like this to power something other then headphones would make a winning project. It is not hard, remember we are talking pre 1920's technology.

Until very recently no one bothered with the idea because you could not do anything interesting with a few microwatts of power. But now we have some very low power mobile devices and "stealing" power from all the TV and radio stations now seems like a good idea. The transmitters pump out energy 24x7 and the technology to tap into it is not hard and not expensive. What's changed is that now we have uses for microwatts. Ten years ago we didn't

6. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

Yep, this is nothing new.
    Right now the best they can do, though, are close range wireless pads. You plug the pad into a socket, and place an electronic device with a compatible battery on the pad and it charges.

(Actually I'm not too sure, because I watched a video on this about a year ago and I'm sure they've made some improvements.)

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Lol. I'm hoping that mix up is intentional. For those wondering, Bowie plays Nikola in The Prestige, which is a fantastic movie, for the record.

8. savar macrumors 68000

savar

The confusing part is why does this "new" idea keep recurring every few years?

Edit: Hm this IS from MIT and did publish an article a few years ago. Maybe this is a legitimate advancement of the technology. http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2007/wireless-0607.html#startcontent

9. Medium Skil macrumors newbie

However it took the Japanese to put the idea into practical use. Hmm, more and more it's the Japanese who are making the technological marvels now a days.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

holy **** that was Bowie? God, I need to see that movie again.

11. weckart macrumors 68040

Electric toothbrushes charge by electric induction without any contact points.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Wouldn't this likely be very wasteful?

I read in an old National Geographic that over 66% of electricity is lost in transmission, in which case the last thing that's needed is losing more in transmission around the home.

13. todd2000 macrumors 68000

14. acurafan macrumors 6502a

the automobile internal combustion engine is only 15% from the engine to the wheels, do we not use it for transportation? there are always trade offs...

i'm all for wireless electricity asap - the battery is the single worst component in any electronic device imo.

15. emt1 macrumors 65816

I don't mind batteries. I want to get rid of ALL cords/cables.

16. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Here's what Qualcomm R&D department has been working on:
    eZone

and here is a video of it in action
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d5PEqk5cuI

It uses near-field magnetic resonance to eliminate having to orient the thing thats charging in a particular way, like in inductive charging.

17. emt1 macrumors 65816

Like a portable MRI :cool:

...minus the I

18. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Dan Brown mentioned the technology in Deception Point as means to power some small radio controlled bugs that can fly near someone and recharge next to a TV set or other appliance.

I'm not sure if the actual bugs themselves were simply a fantasy and part of the story, prototypes or what but it did sound like a good use for the technology apart from the obvious misuse of the technology if a government used it on it's people.

19. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Ever hear of a crystal radio, a radio receiver which operates without a battery or external power source? Its power is received (wirelessly) from radio waves picked up by an antenna. They've been around for over 100 years and saw much "practical use" during the 1920s and 1930s.

20. Rodimus Prime, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

we can not be shock by waves. TV and radio stations antenas put out power in the Mega/GigiWatt range of power. That is a crap load of power and we have tons of theses waves going around us at all times. My wireless router puts out few watts of waves at all times.

The crystal idea I though was pretty cool because in the past that was used to power radio by itself and yet again we might be able to use that old school technology in other devices to power them by pulling power out of the air that currently just going to waste.