Wireless External Hard Drive

lom8104

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
Does such a beast exist? I would like to get an external hd for my powerbook to use as a backup as well as a place to rip CDs into lossless :D

Anyway, I would like the hd to have firewire for big backups but to be able to be accessed wirelessly so I could place it away from my computer (so if some huge disaster occured such as a fire it wouldn't wipe both out)

So does this exist? If not, is there a market?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
lom8104 said:
Does such a beast exist? I would like to get an external hd for my powerbook to use as a backup as well as a place to rip CDs into lossless :D

Anyway, I would like the hd to have firewire for big backups but to be able to be accessed wirelessly so I could place it away from my computer (so if some huge disaster occured such as a fire it wouldn't wipe both out)

So does this exist? If not, is there a market?
If it does, it would be way to slow. No use for such a thing as of yet. :)

Nice concept if the data rate over wireless was on par with FireWire 400. :)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
The best you'll do over WiFiG (802.11g) is about 6 MB/sec, under ideal conditions, and it won't be physically far enough away to spare it from a fire that's close enough to consume you system. Why can't you plug the FW in when you need the drive, then disconnect it and put it elsewhere when you're done? Anyway, I haven't seen anyone advertising a 30-40 MB/sec disk drive with a 6 MB/sec (best case) WiFi interface, and I can understand why nobody has thought to try to market such a product.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Such things are available, but I'm not sure how well they work.

Search Google. I know ASUS makes a 802.11g enclosure, and I'm sure others do.

I'm not sure how well they'd work for your situation, as what you're really looking for is a rotating off-site backup, but so be it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.