wireless external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tom Foolery, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

i just want to know if there is any way to make an external hard drive wireless. and if it is possible what would be the limitations of making the drive wireless. i.e. would i be able to run games off it, would i need another computer to be on constantly to access it

also if it is possible is there any way i can make the drive only accessible by me, preferably without having to enter a password every time i connect to it

thanks

2. sikuss macrumors member

sikuss

If you have the new airport extreme, you can hook a hard drive directly to the router and access it wirelessly from any computer on the network.

No need for another computer, but I think games would be best kept on the internal HD. (someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Unfortunately you can't use Time Machine with Airdisks as of yet.:(

4. danny_w macrumors 601

...and unfortunately there are loads of people reporting issues with AirDisk dropping connections and not mounting. There seem to be more problems with the new AEBS than any other Apple product. Does anybody have one that is actually working for them? I really want one but all of the bug reports alarm me.