wireless external hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fiftyfour123, Jun 17, 2008.

1. fiftyfour123 macrumors member

I have the current macbook pro and i backup to a 300 gb maxtor external usb/firewire hard drive. Currently i always have my laptop connected to the hard drive in my room, but i would like to be able to leave my room with the computer nd still be able to access the hard drive because i access files on it a lot. I'v looked at the wireless USB hubs and they are a little too expensive for me and i read that they dont work to great. I have an AirPort Express that i don't use if there is any way that it can help. I alo have an airport extreme 802.11n router but i dont want to use the airdisk because i want the hard drive in my room because i like to turn it off at night and the airport extreme is on the other side of the house. So, if anyone has any ideas on what i can buy to get this to work than that would be great.

Thanks.

2. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Any mass storage on wireless is going to be slow. I hope you're not doing anything that has any significant I/O or throughput requirements.

You could always get a used Mac Mini and hang whatever shared drives you want off of that.

3. fiftyfour123 thread starter macrumors member

i would probably have my bittorrent program open and seeding wirelessly so i guess if its going to be slow bittorrent isnt going to work well wirelessly. I guess its just probably better to do it wired. But is there any cheap solution with the airport express? like a usb to ethernet adapter to connect the hard drive to, or would that not work?